Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free website host provider suggestions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:11 PM

Since 2004 I have hosted a prominent fil mscore related website on 150m.com.

Over the recent years I have found it to become a frustrating experience.  First there were garbage advertisers, ads that made code display incorrectly (or ads that had badly written code), but I learned to kind of accept that.

Then 150m.com started going down.  It would go down without notice, for days or even a week, come back up and still not provide an explination.  An internet search would show similar complaints from other users.

Now I've about reached the end.  These passed five months, the provider has gone down for almost a month, and now it's been down for two months.  I ping it, and I can still get a response from it, but it's not there (and yes, I have checked other site hsoted by them -- everything is down).

Three e-mails have gone ignored.  Two to 150m.com and another to what I assume it the parent company, 0catch.com.  The message board for users to ask and get answers, has not info' to help and you cant' even log in, so that's useless.

Right now my only hope, since I don't have all the pages backed up, is that the site will come back up since I can still ping it so it isn't gone yet.  Even as a free user, they should care; people with paid sites that do commerce, are screwed; most of the sites have fallen out of a Google search (and Google cache's are going bye-bye, too), so even if they come back up tomorrow, other damage is being done; pages on the net that link to pages hosted on 150m.com, are being edited since it appears they dont' exist anymore, so that's a headache, too; and companies doing free advertising on 150m.com, aren't making any money.  This goes beyond simply not responding to somebody with a free site.

So now I am on the hunt for antoher free website host provider.  I only have time criteria, really:

• I'm looking for a short-name provider.  I hate these long wording site names that make your site look suspicious or take mroe to type.  150m was  short.

• And a provider that has an editor (that you don't have to download) that retains the code as you typed it.  Before I used 150m.com, I had another host that saved all your HTML and it was jumbled togehter into one large un-readable paragraph.

Right now the shortest one I found is 20m.com, but I don't know where to go to check a sites reputation and how users are rating their experience.  The last thing I want to do is re-create a site on another provider and find it goes down without any word, too.  I don't see any indication it's part of 0catch, so that's good.

Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:27 PM

I'm surprised half a month later there hasn't even been one reponse.

I'm still looking.  I intended to register today with 20m.com, with no other choice on hand, but it turns out even thoug they advertise free web hosting on their site, there isn't any free web hosting on their site.  It took me almsot five minutes of a vicious loop to figure this out.  It all leads back to the same page where you have to chose what plan you want and there is no free plan, only a $2.00 a month one.  Even if I wasn't unemployed, I wouldn't plug two dollars a month into a provider lies with false advertising.

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:08 PM

Even if I wasn't unemployed, I wouldn't plug two dollars a month into a provider lies with false advertising.

-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/627051/free-website-host-provider-suggestions/#entry4094282

Agreed.

I'm surprised half a month later there hasn't even been one reponse.

-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/627051/free-website-host-provider-suggestions/#entry4094282

I don't presently need hosting, but I've been watching this thread with interest to see what people suggested. I guess you're charting new waters, please share what you find. :)

#4 tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

I've gone as far as I can with archives I could find that didn't look suspecious and avoided.

Archive.org - Exalead - recovered a bunch, but some was way too out of date. Some not archived at all and some broken links.

Archive.is (turns out Iceland has one) - got a couple things.

Ask (Ask Jeeves) - no caches.

Bing - no caches (at least not for any of my pages)

DogPile - no chaches.

DuckDuckGo - no caches.

Exalead - recovered a bunch, but some was way too out of date.

Google - no caches since they deleted the old ones. Too bad they don't offer old caches removed from the search.

Yahoo - no caches (at least not for any of my pages). Similarly, it would be nice if they offered removed caches.

I lost about 30 pages, some of it I didn't even realize I didn't back up ever until I was recovering other stuff, a bunch unreplacable or so time consuming to redo, it's not worth it.  I also lost about a dozen images.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users