Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stay at helpdesk or move to NOC?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HDRob

HDRob

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:57 PM

Background: Small company (~75 employees), been on the helpdesk for 15 months, have an opportunity to move down to the NOC as a NOC Technician. Basically my question is when considering overall career moves, in general is a helpdesk or a NOC position more desirable? I know that's a very broad/generic question, but I'm struggling with deciding whether it would be a lateral/forward/backward move for my overall IT career?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:57 PM

Network Operations Center (NOC) jobs will be considered high level than any Help/Service Desk position.  I'd consider it a step up.

#3 HDRob

HDRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for the reply Kilroy, that's been my impression on the surface, but with this particular company as I talk to the current NOC technicians it appears that the day-to-day work performed is quite a bit "less challenging" than what I currently get on the Help Desk. However it gets me in to what I think is a more desirable part of the org chart. We'll see what kind of offer I get, hoping a bump in pay will accompany it as well.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:42 PM

Honestly you want your day to day work in the NOC to be less challenging.  A good network design just works.  Where the NOC earns its pay is when the network decides to take a vacation, often at wonderful times like end of month when everyone needs it.  Worst case you get a job title and a little experience in the NOC.

#5 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:24 AM

Honestly you want your day to day work in the NOC to be less challenging.    >>  A good network design just works.  <<

Where the NOC earns its pay is when the network decides to take a vacation, often at wonderful times like end of month when everyone needs it.  Worst case you get a job title and a little experience in the NOC.

+1

Years ago, working at the Help Desk, I would've have said, "I don't understand".

Now, at Level 2, yeah, things can get a little routine - wipe/reinstall, check to see if Faronics is dealing with those updates, etc

But, as Kilroy points out, when it breaks - like mine did a few months back - ugh, it was an ugly 4 days. No sleep, lots of coffee & stress, lots of emails and my Director, who is nice, checking in and asking for a status update.

Some days can get tedious but, as you mentioned, if there's a bump in your pay, you can also add another skill set to your resume.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:33 AM

For level 2 and above you want your work queue to be more Work Orders / Requests and less Incidents / Break / Fix.  By getting your environment into the more request vs break fix allows you to better maintain and improve your environment allowing you to continue improving with less time fixings things that are broken.  You're never going to get rid of break / fix, things happen, but you should strive to reduce the number of break / fix tickets.

Edited by Kilroy, 30 September 2016 - 10:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users