Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Left USB ports cause Laptop to shut off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

Hello I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 model #(7537) running Windows 10 fully updated and started to have trouble with the left two USB ports.  This problem started when I was trying to import a CD to iTunes with my external DVD burner with two USB cables.  Once I plug in the USB ports the laptop completely  shut off and I had difficulty getting the laptop to start up but after removing the battery the third or fourth time the laptop finally started to boot up again.  After that I never have used that DVD burner again and in about three to four weeks I was removing my USB thumb drive from one of the left USB ports and the computer shut off again but this time I was able to get it to boot up after it shut down without having to remove the battery.  I have looked at the ports and they appear to be fine and I looked at the driver in device manager and they appear good.  Also since I have a USB wireless mouse on always on the right side when I started to plug my thumb drive on the other USB port on that side the mouse starts to act funny and feels like it is getting "heavy" at times.  I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed without having to tear into the laptop since I think the warranty is up.

-Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 11:53 AM

Check to make sure the four USB leads inside the port are NOT loose or touching each other. If they get crossed up it can cause all kinds of damage.

#3 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:17 PM

I've looked at the USB ports and they look exactly like the ones on the right side and don't look damaged at all.

-Thanks though

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:36 AM

I would uninstall the USB controllers (via Device Manager)...then reboot and allow new ones to reinstall (automatically).

Louis

#5 kwjamesblond

kwjamesblond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:28 PM

I reset my driver's and my mouse problem is better, is there a good way to test those ports without messing my system up more or would you recommend replacing the part anyways just to be safe?

-Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users