Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Giving name for the user when setting up new computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:54 PM

What is allowed for Windows 10 when setting up new machine and giving the name for the user?  Dashes, spaces, underscores, digits inclusion acceptable?  This is the part after telling or setting up microsoft account (or skipping it) and then the screen where you can put in name of your new computer or how you want to be called or identified, and a possible local password.  OR are you supposed to fill in your real name as FIRST and LASTNAME ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:00 PM

As far as user names go you can pretty much use what you want, at least for a local account.

I can't recall what is enforced so far as user names or machine names go, but I know that digits can be included and some special characters.  Try what you would like and Windows will complain if you've violated some rule.

I don't use my actual name for any username, anywhere, including for my Microsoft account and my various Windows 10 user names go.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:29 PM

Thanks, britechguy,

and I also have more to ask  (of any or all participating forum members).

There is a screen expected, "Create an account for this pc"  and a included textbox captioned "Who's going to use this pc?", and a picture of this is shown on this page: http://www.networkworld.com/article/2956427/microsoft-subnet/how-to-setup-a-local-account-in-windows-10-during-or-after-installation.html

My (other question) is, can I skip this part of the setup also, so not need to need to sign in to my own computer with a password?  Or can I put in a name for "Who's...", but NOT give any password, so still not need to sign in with password to use my own computer?  If I could do that, would there be other disadvantages to using the computer?

WHY?

I have been using Windows Vista on a laptop computer for several years with no need to sign in with any password.  Just turn on the computer, let the desktop settle, and start using.  No problem.  Smooth.  Occasionally install a program.  Never need to give a user name.  Never need to give a password.  Often an "elevated prompt" for some updates or new installs.  That's it.    I want Windows 10 to be just as easy to use.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:45 PM

I cannot answer your question about omitting a password at setup in any definitive way.   My gut tells me that you will not be able to omit it.

I do, however, have instructions for turning off the requirement to enter a password at login.  Essentially you tell Windows to enter your password for you automatically when a given username is selected:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Turn Off the Password Entry Requirement under Win8 or Win10

Note: Anybody who turns the computer on can get into the desktop screen directly if there is only one account on the computer.  If there is more than one then they can get access to the desktop by selecting any account that has password login turned off.

Please follow the below steps to skip the password entry screen for a specific account:

1.        Open the Run Command box by simultaneously pressing Windows Key and R keys (Windows Key+R). In the Run dialog box, type Netplwiz and then press Enter key.

OR  Open a Command Prompt window and enter the command:  control userpasswords2 and hit Enter.

2.        You will be presented with the User Accounts dialog, select the user account for which you wish to turn off password login and then uncheck the checkbox labeled Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.

3.      Click Apply button to see Automatically sign in box.

4.       On the "Automatically sign in box" confirm your credentials and then click OK. Restart the computer and check.

Steps 3 and 4 are critical.  If you omit them you will not have the password login turned off and everything will remain as it had been.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:31 PM

Let me start a new topic in the Windows 10 forum section, because the question asked in this topic was about how to choose or select a "name" during Windows setup.  What to do about password or not password seems a different topic than choosing a name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users