Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wipe, CC Cleaner free editions

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 aer

aer

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:31 PM

Is there any real advantage to buying the pro versions of these?  I have both on my computer - I was advised these were good to keep after having someone at bleeping computer help me clean my laptop of infections etc.

I also have Malware and did buy the pro edition.  

Thank you

Ann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:51 PM

In general for most users probably no advantage. But the only way to be sure is to go the author's web-site and check the facilities offered in the various versions. If there is a feature in one of the paid for versions that is a 'must have' for you, then you will benefit from the paid-for version. Otherwise i would say not.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:33 AM

What you get with ccleaner pro version..

1 year of auto updates.

Ability  to clean multiple users from a single administrator session

Direct support from Piriform via email if asked for.

I would just stick with the free version unless you need any of the above.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:34 AM

What kind of wipe utility did you get?  I recommend being very careful with such; from experience, I've learned it is easy to wipe the wrong folder or the wrong file; or a partition that just happened to have what was thought to be an understood drive letter [a fancy way of saying I wiped the wrong partition!].

Regard ccleaner -- anything from Piriform, Wise, or Auslogics -- the free versions have worked fine for years.

"...Ability  to clean multiple users from a single administrator session..."  -- that is a nice feature I discovered when using my paid-for jv16 Power Tools, which I use very cautiously and sparingly.

NOTE:  Please have a weekly or bi-monthly routine, using something like Macrium Reflect [free is good!], of making full image backups of your OS and Data partitions onto trusted external media.  For different reasons, I have had to simply connect my usb ext HD, and watch the green bar go s-l-o-w-l-y across my restore screen...

Edited by RolandJS, 17 September 2016 - 06:36 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 aer

aer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 11:32 AM

Wipe is the name of the software.  I downloaded it on the advice of someone here.  

https://privacyroot.com/software/www/en/wipe-download.php

I am looking into a new laptop - this one is going down!  USB doesn't work, screen goes gray at times, then some colorful stripes!  Many other issues and it is getting old.  So, I have been backing up quite regularly.  I used Macrium for a full image backup about a month ago, I have backed up documents/photos etc to external hard drive and flash drives every couple of days.  I also put some files in dropbox so I know they will be ok.  

Looking at a Dell at Office Max. 

Thank you for all the reply's and help!

Ann

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 11:57 AM

The 'Wipe' software you mention has a rather strange affiliates setup

https://privacyroot.com/software/www/en/affiliates.php

But wait... As you may be know, one of our programs are intended to remove cookie-files. Thus, sales tracking by old-fashioned way (using cookie-files) not very reliable. But, there is better and more reliable solution!

We will provide you with your unique setup file of our programs. It will contain your tracking code, which will be saved into users PC, to the registry. Even if cookies will be removed, we will be able to track your sale. Thus, we still use cookie-files plus tracking code inserted into program. That's twice reliable than competitors

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:25 PM

Wipe is the name of the software.  I downloaded it on the advice of someone here.  https://privacyroot.com/software/www/en/wipe-download.php

Looks good! I'm saving the whole download page as a bookmark as I type   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 17 September 2016 - 12:38 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 aer

aer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:04 PM

Are there files I should not be deleting that Wipe recommends?   Especially the windows files, error reports, crash reports etc.  I have Windows 7 right now.  Thanks!

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:01 PM

Are there files I should not be deleting that Wipe recommends?   Especially the windows files, error reports, crash reports etc.  I have Windows 7 right now.

I don't know the full listing of what Wipe is suggesting; however, unless there is a reason to peruse an error, crash, BSOD report - for example, requested by BC tech - Wipe can go ahead and delete those.  There are some files that I do not allow ccleaner or would I allow Wipe to delete because those files are used by Windows on a daily basis.  For example:  user MRU files; I did that once, and all of my Windows sizing had to be reDone from scratch.

Edited by RolandJS, 19 September 2016 - 01:57 PM.

#10 aer

aer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

Thank you

#11 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:47 PM

Instead of CCleaner, I recommend BleachBit as it is open source and completely free (no "premium" editions). It does an even more thourough job especially when you install the community cleaners addon.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:30 AM

...recommend BleachBit...install the community cleaners addon.

I got too may hits for community cleaners addon on their web site.  What exactly is the URL for that add-on?  Thanks!

#13 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

...recommend BleachBit...install the community cleaners addon.

I got too may hits for community cleaners addon on their web site.  What exactly is the URL for that add-on?  Thanks!

BleachBit has a setting that automatically downloads it.

Go to Edit > Preferences > and check "Download and update cleaners from community (winapp2.ini)"

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#14 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:24 AM

See here ...., read a little bit lower down the page for instructions

https://github.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:59 AM

Got it, BleachIt set up, thanks!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users