Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Drive not working as it should.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Terokal

Terokal

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:05 PM

Hello :

As if erasing 600GB of data isn't enough, the cd/dvd drive is giving me some troubles lately. The DVD with the iso works perfectly, but now that I'm trying to copy some of the info that got lost, sometimes it reads DVDs with data and other times is like lazy to read 'em or copy the data to folders. It's weird cause sometimes I can open those files from the drive (even reproduce 'em), but when trying to copy them to a usb, the external or my computer most of the files go south. Would like to know if the DVDs can be the problem (bad burnt) or the drive itself.

ATAPI   DVD A  DH20A4P (9P58) - /dev/sr0 (Read-Only)

This is the message : Error splicing file: Input/output error

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by Terokal, 16 September 2016 - 04:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

You may have just worn the drive out.I would replace it.they aren't that expensive.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:12 PM

These discs you are trying to copy, what sort of condition are they in ?  Badly scratched or dirty discs can cause these problems. If however they are in good condition then as Paul says it is probably your optical drive. A quick check would be to see if they can be read in a different computer.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

Has to be that the dvd's aren't in good conditions, only explanation I can think of, cause the one I used to install Ubuntu Mate 14 works perfect. Played some CDs and it worked.

Thanks !!!!.

Edited by Terokal, 16 September 2016 - 07:45 PM.

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:39 PM

Has to be that the dvd's aren't in good conditions, only explanation I can think of, cause the one I used to install Ubuntu Mate 14 works perfect.

Now I have to mount it and I'm lost at it ... thanks !!!!.

Well- i have had that happen as well- DVD's can collect dust,residue,scratches,etc. If you have extra blank DVDs laying around , try burning some new ones.Sometimes that is the problem, if that doesn't work,since you said it was an I/O error,I would replace the optical drive. They do wear out,especially if you burn a lot of cd/DVDs. I've replaced two already- or you can try cleaning the DVD- I use Windex,that will remove any residue on the DVD.----

#6 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:21 PM

Did he not read or write properly either, ie, 700MB and 4.7GB? If so, then it is probably a mistake on your computer. If one works and the other does not work, then in the laser diode, it is faulty. (this diode includes two diodes in one housing and usually one of them gives ends).

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:44 PM

Did he not read or write properly either, ie, 700MB and 4.7GB? If so, then it is probably a mistake on your computer. If one works and the other does not work, then in the laser diode, it is faulty. (this diode includes two diodes in one housing and usually one of them gives ends).

That's a possibility as well- I didn't think of that.Glad you pointed that out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users