Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC doesn't work.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MrRandom

MrRandom

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:35 PM

So, this happened to me a few days ago and it happened again today.
I press the power button. Everything in the PC powers on. The monitor isn't detecting a signal. The mouse laser is off. The keyboard lights are off (NumLock, Caps lock and scroll lock). No matter how long I leave it on. Still the same.
First time this happened I just restarted and turned it on and off through the power supply a bunch of times. It just started working.
Now it doesn't.
I checked all the wires and stuff. Nothing.
I can't get into the BIOS or safe mode.
My PC now is just a brick with lights and fans.
PC specs:
Radeon r9 290x
AMD FX-8350
Asus Sabertooth (don't remember) motherboard.
Sorry if I sound dumb sometimes.
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrRandom

MrRandom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:42 PM

Also, I noticed that the restart button and holding the power button doesn't do anything. Only way to turn it off is the on-off switch on the power supply.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

What OS are you running?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

The quickest method to improve is to do a clean installation. I do not understand why people do not want to do it. Even, if it is so simple and the quickest method to get rid of all software problems at once.

#5 MrRandom

MrRandom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:45 PM

I'm running windows 10 and It's going to be pretty hard to do a clean install when I can't access ANYTHING on my PC (monitor doesn't even detect a signal from the PC)

Edited by MrRandom, 16 September 2016 - 03:45 PM.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,534 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:29 PM

Then this thread might belong in the hardware section.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:45 PM

I'm running windows 10 and It's going to be pretty hard to do a clean install when I can't access ANYTHING on my PC (monitor doesn't even detect a signal from the PC)

But, in general, is very difficult to help you if do not even tell, what computer it is.

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:39 PM

The quickest method to improve is to do a clean installation. I do not understand why people do not want to do it. Even, if it is so simple and the quickest method to get rid of all software problems at once.

According to his first post, he can not even get to an OS, so that's not an option currently. Also, reinstalling the OS may fix all of the problems, but it eliminates the symptoms, which is bad. Not knowing what broke and/or how means the problems have an equal chance of occurring again. OS reinstall is a final solution, not a first.

First time this happened I just restarted and turned it on and off through the power supply a bunch of times. It just started working.

What do you mean? You turned the computer off with the switch in the back, then turned it on via the power button in the front, over-and-over again? Please elaborate.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

@kaljukass #7 - for computer specs see #1

@MrRandom

You said you have an ASUS Sabretooth mobo but are not sure which one. Sabretooth is a name applied across quite a wide model range. Any chance you could have a look and see if you can find a model number ?  It should be stencilled fairly prominently on the mobo or even on your manual if you still have it.

Are you getting any 'beep' codes when you try to power up ?  If you are, can you try to note them and report them in your next post.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:45 AM

Failing/failed Power Supply (PSU)  ?

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,534 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:37 AM

I agree. Either a failing PSU or maybe even just a loose wire.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 MrRandom

MrRandom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:33 PM

I'll update you on the moderboard in 2 days or so (no time on the weekend). This is the part where I'm gonna sound dumb: if the PSU is failing is it powering certain parts but not others?

#13 MrRandom

MrRandom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:02 AM

My motherboard is the 990 fx r2.0

#14 BrianVS

BrianVS

• Validating
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:34 AM

The several times that I've had computers do this over the years- the RAM had gone bad to the point of not even getting beep codes. Reseating sometimes worked, replacing the RAM usually fixed things. The times that it did not- the motherboard was bad.

Good luck, will be helpful to see how this resolved.

#15 MrRandom

MrRandom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:02 PM

TOOT THE (rusty) TROMBONES!
PC works again!
Turns out it was a loose wire (Have I ever mentioned that I'm dumb?). But it was a wire that I haven't touched since the PC was built (one of the wires from the PSU to the motherboard, so your theory that the PSU is failing was partially correct). Don't know how it got loose.
Thanks for your help!
Sorry I'm dumb!
Bye!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users