Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet help, Windows 7 Professional

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pugglerock

Pugglerock

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:39 AM

I'm trying to get a computer to stay online so it can monitor our calls. The only problem is it doesn't stay online for more then 20 minutes at a time and then it suddenly can't access it. The PC is not wireless, it is connected through an ethernet cable. The PC will tell me it's connected to the internet however it actually isn't. I've run the troubleshooting on the networking page and it says it can't find an issue.

I have done the following:

SCF /Scannow - No issues

Anti virus scan - Clean

Adware clean up - Removed items, no improvement 

Junkware removal - Removed items, no improvement

Updated the ethernet card to latest drivers - No improvement

Set up the DNS and IP config to do it automatically - No improvement

Reset the router - No improvement

did a Netsh reset - No improvement

Disabled the tunneling adapters - no improvement so re-enabled.

Ran Tweaking:

Did a CHKDSK - Fixed errors but not the internet problem

Ran the repair tool - Fixed errors but not the internet problem.

Now I'm left with very little options. I don't really want to run combo fix if I can avoid it but at this point it's looking like an option. I also note it could be that the operating system might be shot and may have to put to my line manager that I'll need to re-install the OS. Once again something I don't really want to do but I can do it.

Any other ideas on what else I could try? I think I've exhausted all my options at this point and it's been driving me mad for two days!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:15 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course): p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:57 AM

Check with your Internet service provider to see if they are disconnecting your.  If you are inactive for a period of time some ISPs will automatically disconnect you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Pugglerock

Pugglerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:50 AM

I will do the first thing when I get some quiet time in the office.

Check with your Internet service provider to see if they are disconnecting your.  If you are inactive for a period of time some ISPs will automatically disconnect you.

I do not believe this to be the case, as this is a big office and all our other computers can stay online on the internet all the time. It's just this one PC that refuses to.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:58 AM

Try a different ethernet cable.

#6 Pugglerock

Pugglerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:49 AM

Try a different ethernet cable.

I have done this as well as still the exact same thing happens. I'm thinking it might be that the ethernet port itself could be shot? We did have a power cut a year or so back which is when it first went offline so it may be related.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:48 AM

Make sure your power options is set to High Performance.

Do not allow the computer to sleep after a set time.

Right click the Adapter in Device Manger. Select Properties. Under the Power Management tab make sure to uncheck the box next to allow computer to turn off device.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:51 AM

Looking at other topics you have posted it appears that this computer is a desktop.  This would make impractical to move the computer to another work station to see if the problem persists there.  If you have access to a laptop connect it to the Ethernet cable and see if the problem persists there.  

If the problem persists with the laptop you need to have your company IT person check out the cable and its connector.

If the problem does not persist the problem is with your computer.

Open the Device Manager and see if there are any yellow warning icons or red error icons in Network adapters.  

I see that JohnC_21 has just posted my next suggestion if the previous doesn't produce results.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Pugglerock

Pugglerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:39 AM

Make sure your power options is set to High Performance.

Do not allow the computer to sleep after a set time.

Right click the Adapter in Device Manger. Select Properties. Under the Power Management tab make sure to uncheck the box next to allow computer to turn off device.

This has been done as well. I did a lot of things trying to get this PC to work so may have not listed them all. So far though, everything been suggested I have done.

Looking at other topics you have posted it appears that this computer is a desktop.  This would make impractical to move the computer to another work station to see if the problem persists there.  If you have access to a laptop connect it to the Ethernet cable and see if the problem persists there.  

If the problem persists with the laptop you need to have your company IT person check out the cable and its connector.

If the problem does not persist the problem is with your computer.

Open the Device Manager and see if there are any yellow warning icons or red error icons in Network adapters.  

I see that JohnC_21 has just posted my next suggestion if the previous doesn't produce results.

I am the company IT person (albiet I'm more software orientated than hardware orientated but it is a learning process and most things that have happened so far I have managed to fix.) I've checked the cable and it's connector. The cable is fine, the connector is fine, it works in all other PC's I have tested it with. It works with a laptop I've done too. I even swapped over the cable to a different one and it's the same result. I moved it out of the room it originally was in thinking maybe the port wasn't live, but this has turned out not to be the case as it has the same issue with a port I know is live.

I have checked device manager, it's all fine there; nothing yellow, nothing red. It's all up to date.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

It's possible some startup or service is causing a conflict. Do a clean boot and see if you disconnect. Start enabling services and startup items a few at a time until you disconnect.

If the computer has USB 3.0 consider a USB to Ethernet Gigabit adapter. If you only have USB 2.0 then you can get a cheap one on ebay. I have used these with success.

You may be able to find a local source. The above are just examples.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:10 PM

Just to be redundant uninstall the driver and restart the computer.

#12 Pugglerock

Pugglerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:52 AM

It's possible some startup or service is causing a conflict. Do a clean boot and see if you disconnect. Start enabling services and startup items a few at a time until you disconnect.

If the computer has USB 3.0 consider a USB to Ethernet Gigabit adapter. If you only have USB 2.0 then you can get a cheap one on ebay. I have used these with success.

You may be able to find a local source. The above are just examples.

I've done the clean boot, but I think I may have a USB to ethernet adapter in my box somewhere so I'll have a look.

I haven't actually tried that so I'll give it a go and see if that resolves the issue.

#13 Pugglerock

Pugglerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:39 AM

As an update, I have done this now; and it's made no difference.

I do have a wireless card arriving soon for another PC so I'm going to give that a go first to just see how long it stays online for. Then i can move forward from there,

#14 Pugglerock

Pugglerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:25 AM

Just as an update on this as I've been busy the past week and a half. The wireless card also did not solve the issue.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:45 PM

From your first post when you said you ran Tweaking, you mean Windows Repair and selected Network Repair, correct?

Boot a live linux distro and see if the Wifi works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users