Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIN10 unannounced restart results in loss of work

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jammalg

jammalg

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

Problem: My PC is either OFF or ON. I either start my PC and log in to my account, or just login to my account, and start work. After 10 minutes or so a blue screen goes up and states the PC is shutting down and I lose my work.  When I am able to finally login - ALL of my settings have been reverted to default settings.  I manually log out and then back in and my setting are now back - but any work I've done is lost.

Today, actually just a few minutes ago, I logged in, started my email, browser, etc and was online speaking to someone while also editing a letter.  Without warning my screens go dark, then blue and  white dots start to circle in the center of my screen with text stating my PC is shutting down.

This unannounced shutdown has to stop.

I thought I had settings to notify me of updates and allow control enough to at least save my work before shutting down.

I asked the MS Community forum and only got 1 reply, "what version of WIN10 are you running?" After that, nothing.

Any idea what is going on?

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version    10.0.10586 Build 10586
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel® Core™ i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 2004, 06/03/14
SMBIOS Version    2.7
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB

My update settings are:

1 - Choose how updates are installed - Notify to schedule restart

2 - The Settings::Advanced Option window states "Note: Windows Update might update itself automatically first when checking for other updates." <== is this what is going on? If so, how can I stop it?

3 - Choose how updates are delivered  Updates from more than one place - "On" <== should this be set to "Off"?

Thanks for whatever help you are able to give.

jammalg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:38 PM

What you need to do is to change your Active Hours in Settings.  Go to Start -> Settings -> Update & security.  Now look on the right side of the window where it says Change active hours and click on it.  You'll get a screen that allows you to tell the computer when you're active with it and don't want it to restart.  Here's a more detailed article for your reference:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3102804/windows/how-to-use-windows-10s-active-hours-to-prevent-surprise-update-installs.html .

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:57 AM

You would also perhaps benefit by updating to the latest Anniversary build as you are still on an old Win 10 version.

#4 jammalg

jammalg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:49 AM

Niweg and opera,

Thank you both.  I'll do what you suggest and get back to you with the results.  BTW: I usually reply within 5 business days so you might not hear from me for a few days.

jammalg

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,755 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:16 PM

Unless I'm doing a very bad job of "reading between the lines" the comment about "blue screen" coming up, coupled with the rest of the description, clearly suggests this is a Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) and has nothing at all to do with the normal Windows Update process.

Additional information is definitely needed.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 jammalg

jammalg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

Hello Everyone,  I gave the changes I made a while to work before getting back with the results. 

Unless I'm doing a very bad job of "reading between the lines" the comment about "blue screen" coming up, coupled with the rest of the description, clearly suggests this is a Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) and has nothing at all to do with the normal Windows Update process.

Hi Brian, It is the blue screen that appears when you shut down the PC - not the BSOD.  Also, text appears that says "Updates" are being applied.

---------------------------------------------------------

A few weeks ago, I downloaded and installed the WIN10 Anniversary update.  While I can now set hours for updates to NOT occur the largest span of "do not update" time is 12 hours.  Though I had wanted to block updates from 6 am to 10 pm, I had to settle for 6 am to 6 pm.  Twice, after being logged in for 10 minutes or so within the 6 am/pm setup  - while I am working online - my desktop disappears and is replaced by the blue logoff/shutdown screen with the white circles going around in the center just as I first described in my first post.

So while the frequency of unannounced shutdowns has seemed to decrease, they have not stopped.

I am now very seriously thinking of creating a dual boot PC - WIN10 and LINUX.

Edited by jammalg, 30 September 2016 - 08:18 AM.

#7 jammalg

jammalg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:47 PM

As a final addition to this problem, today 10/7/16, after having updated to the Anniversary version, making changes to the timing of when NOT to update (6 am to 6 pm) - I logged in around 8 AM. I started my email, browser and was online (actually on EVE) and was talking to someone when my PC shutdown without warning - exactly as it had done when I 1st asked for help a few weeks ago.

If I at least got some kind of warning that a shutdown was planned I could at least anticipate and deal with it.

As mentioned, I'm going to setup Linux so I can  dual boot and have already downloaded Ubuntu.

Over and out.

jammalg

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:18 PM

He's referring to the blue screen that says "Applying Updates" (or whatever it says).

Hmmm, that is rather confusing. Good job Microsoft.  :rolleyes:

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:29 PM

Windows 10 Pro allows you to disable reboot when a user is logged on. I'm not sure if this registry hack works on 10 but it does on 8.

http://lifehacker.com/stop-windows-from-restarting-your-computer-after-update-509712123

#10 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:39 PM

Windows 10 Pro allows you to disable reboot when a user is logged on. I'm not sure if this registry hack works on 10 but it does on 8.

http://lifehacker.com/stop-windows-from-restarting-your-computer-after-update-509712123

I have a feeling this won't work on 10.  I had the problem at work with 10 home edition insisting on restarting. I google'd it to death, did not find that fix.

The solution may be to use the Active Hours feature or upgrade to the Pro edition and restart manually for updates.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:47 PM

Remind me never to install Windows 10.  :crazy:

#12 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:51 PM

Remind me never to install Windows 10.  :crazy:

John,

Don't install Windows 10. Wait for Windows 11. (it goes to 11.)  :crazy:

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,755 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:01 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens if a dual boot setup or Linux only setup is used.  This is the one and only situation like this that I've heard about.  

Everything is screaming to me a hardware driven shutdown secondary to something like overheating (or false signaling of overheating).  I have seen more than one machine do this, laptops in particular, if their air intakes and exhausts aren't vacuumed regularly.  There are some models known to run much closer to "critical temperature" than others, and for those that do it doesn't take much reduction in airflow to trigger overheating.

"Instant shutdown without warning" just doesn't read as OS driven to me.

This is a situation where SpeedFan or similar might shed a little light, including possibly proving my working theory entirely wrong.

Edited by britechguy, 07 October 2016 - 05:03 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:33 PM

"Instant shutdown without warning" just doesn't read as OS driven to me.

Who said that? OP wrote:

Problem: My PC is either OFF or ON. I either start my PC and log in to my account, or just login to my account, and start work. After 10 minutes or so a blue screen goes up and states the PC is shutting down and I lose my work. [...]

Today, actually just a few minutes ago, I logged in, started my email, browser, etc and was online speaking to someone while also editing a letter.  Without warning my screens go dark, then blue and  white dots start to circle in the center of my screen with text stating my PC is shutting down. [...]

Hi Brian, It is the blue screen that appears when you shut down the PC - not the BSOD.  Also, text appears that says "Updates" are being applied. [...]

Sounds like a normal shutdown done by Windows 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users