Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant update various windows update on 8.1

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 joeypurple

joeypurple

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:47 AM

I just can't get these Windows updates working.... they keep failing id really appreciate some help.

KB3177186

KB3174644

KB3185319

KB3184122

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stavros3000

stavros3000

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:05 AM

Do you get an error message when they fail?

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:06 AM

Hi joey :)

In addition to answering the question above, follow the instructions below please.

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system and to provide the CBS log in your next reply;
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below and press on Enter;
    sfc /scannow
    Note: There's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow";
  • Once the scan is complete, enter the command below and press on Enter
    copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • A file called cbs.txt will have appeared on your Desktop. Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;
Note: Please note that the CBS.log is volatile, which means that if you don't upload it after the SFC scan is completed, it won't have the information from the scan anymore. So archive it and upload it as soon as you can.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 joeypurple

joeypurple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:48 AM

Ok no it was all good and said to restart computer I was then told windows update failed so basically changes being removed..or something along those lines

#5 joeypurple

joeypurple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:06 AM

Just tried to run Command prompt admin as you said but it said windows updates needed to be installed so I should restart...I then got the message Failure configuring Windows updates undoing changes....what shall I do...? cheers

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

Do you have your Windows installation media?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 joeypurple

joeypurple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:14 AM

I have office home and student 2013 with a product key...am no techie !!

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:17 AM

Restart your computer and right after your computer manufacturer splash screen/logo (like Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc.) and right before you boot in Windows, press on F8 repeatedly. You should end up with the Advanced Boot Options menu. In it, select Repair Your Computer and press on Enter. From there you'll enter the Recovery PE, which will offer you a window with a few options. Click on the last one, Command Prompt, and enter the following command:
DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
You should receive a message saying this:
Reverting pending actions from the image…. The operation completed.  Any revert of pending actions will be attempted after reboot.
Let me know if that's the case or not.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 joeypurple

joeypurple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:27 AM

My computer will not let me do F8 its just continues to login as usual any suggestion ? Thanks

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:34 AM

Keep on pressing F8 quickly (as sometimes, you're just not fast enough if you press it once), if it doesn't work, let me know.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:33 AM

Holding  down the SHIFT key when you press Restart will boot you into Safe Mode.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:53 AM

Though what he needs isn't to get in Safe Mode, but get in the Recovery PE.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 joeypurple

joeypurple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:26 AM

Sorry neither options are working, I am on Windows 8.1 perhaps there is another way...have tried this a lot and I don't think it is because I am not quick enough...thanks

#14 joeypurple

joeypurple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:35 AM

am going to try this and select safe mode with Command Prompt and follow your instructions from there 

2. Use Shift + Restart - works in Windows 8 & 8.1

Another method is to press the Power button at the Windows login screen or in the Settings charm. Then, press and hold the SHIFT key on your keyboard and click Restart.

w8sm4.png

Windows asks you to choose an option. Press Troubleshoot.

w8sm5.png

In the Troubleshoot screen, press Advanced options.

w8sm6.png

In the Advanced options screen, press Startup Settings.

w8sm7.png

You are informed that you are about to restart in order to change several Windows options, including enabling Safe Mode. Press Restart.

w8sm8.png

Your computer or device restarts again and displays nine startup settings, including Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking and Safe Mode with Command Prompt

w8sm9.png

Press the F4 key on your keyboard, to enable Safe Mode, F5 to enable Safe Mode with Networking and F6 to enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 now boot according to the setting you selected.
Read the next page in this guide for another three ways of booting into Safe Mode.

#15 joeypurple

joeypurple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:42 AM

Not sure what happened I went through procedure I posted up and selected option 6 Safe mode with Command prompt, then I got usual login after that. please help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users