Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will a new windows 8 machine automatically update to 10?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MattB777

MattB777

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:02 AM

I have problems at the moment but am thinking about buying a Windows 8 machine. BUT, it will update to 10 anyway, won't it, when I do the initial boot-up? Will I be able to got to settings > recovery and select the option to go back to 8?

Or does that depend on the model concerned?

My concerns are privacy with 10 and I have have had enough of it, anyway!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:59 AM

No, it will not.   The period of the free update offer is over.   If you obtain a machine with either Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 installed as its OS it will not update to Windows 10 unless you buy a copy of Windows 10 (or, to be more accurate, download a copy and buy a license key) to update it with.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 11:17 AM

The period of free updates to 10 is over, but a few Windows 7 & 8.1 PCs are still on the market with free upgrades to 10 bundled with them.  If you buy one of these, you should check to be sure that's the case with what you get.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 MattB777

MattB777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 11:59 AM

Thanks, folks! I didn't know the free upgrade period was over. In fact, I thought that you couldn't NOT upgrade now unless you have a program installed to block it like Never 10. I thought that when the unit was booted for the first time it would automatically upgrade then you're stuck with it!

Alas, the only machines I can find with 8 are refurbished ones, which has made me take a step back. After all, who knows what nasties an initial user may have put on the laptop? Or is that paranoia...?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,654 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:13 PM

If the computer is OEM and was pre-installed with Windows 8 you can use the Windows 8 Media Creation Tool to create DVD or USB flash drive install media. Because the key is embedded in firmware Windows will auto activate once online. You would need to verify if the refurbished computer was an OEM that was pre-installed with Windows 8 and not an upgrade from an earlier OS.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,884 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:20 PM

Alas, the only machines I can find with 8 are refurbished ones, which has made me take a step back. After all, who knows what nasties an initial user may have put on the laptop? Or is that paranoia...?

Yes, that's paranoia, at least if they're factory refurbished.  Refurbishment from the factory involves checking over all of the hardware and reimaging the hard drive.  There's nothing left from the previous owner and, very often, you wouldn't know that the machine is not brand new if you didn't already know that it's refurbished.

I cannot speak to third-party refurbishers.

You couldn't get me to purchase a Windows 8 or 8.1 machine.  Either Windows 7 or Windows 10 is simply a better OS overall, though in different ways.  Windows 10 is not the privacy nightmare the conspiracy theorists posit and you can prove that to yourself by setting all your Privacy options as you want them then monitoring the actual traffic that goes back to Microsoft servers.  I do not and never have used the PDA feature of Cortana, turned off my advertising ID immediately after setup, and turned off a lot of the other options, with the exception of system health telemetry.   The amount of data leaving my machine under Windows 10 back to Microsoft isn't much different than it was under Windows 7.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:03 PM

A new windows 8 (or 8.1) machine will be safe from the horros of upgrade if it comes new with an install of windows 8 or 8.1 dated before february 2015. Generally a windows system you buy, when you boot it up, is updated to a certain degreee already, usuallu as up to date as windows was several months before the system you bought left the factory. For exmaple I bought an 8.1 machine in about march 2015, it was, out of the box bfore going online, update to a summer 2014 level. If the computer is, out of the box, up to date for a date before feb 2015 just make sure not to let any of the gwx related updates be installed. if it is up to date for a date after feb 2015 make sure to remove any gwx related updates present (KB3035583 and it's mates). I suggest avoidance and removal of certain updates for extra certainty but if ms keeps their word then you won't even need to do this to ensure you don't get upgraded. If ms keeps to what they have said then you won't be offered upgrade at all, I merely suggest removal of certain updates if you want further certainty of avoiding upgrade.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:06 PM

Post#4, and upgrade on initial booting, that's truly impossible. Not something you need to worry about. If a machien comes with 8 or 8.1 then it will have that OS and won't install any updates at all until you connect to the internet, only on the first time something boots AFTER being connected to the internet can any updates be installed. And the way that gwx worked you would have to boot once for it to be installed, then only on the next reboot could it do anything nasty. But it shouldn't do anything at all now that the end of the free upgrade epriod has passed.

Edited by rp88, 20 September 2016 - 01:06 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users