Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too Many Processes?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PaulJ

PaulJ

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

I've just bought a new computer. The task manager tells me I have 73 processes running. I don't see how I can possibly require that many, so I assume most are uselessly taxing my computer. I have no idea which ones I need and which ones are just fluff. I play games so I like to have as many resources as possible. Is there some sort of program I can use to keep vital ones and block useless ones? Should I just leave them all alone? Please help, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:49 PM

In the header above is a button called "startup list". That would be a good place to start to determine what you need running on your computer.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:58 PM

Download a freeware ap named Startup Inspector which will enable you to view and identify the programs that start automatically when Windows starts.

Most of the ones you will see there do not need to be started when you turn on the computer.

What you do need to startup are your anti-virus program, any anti-malware aps you will find listed there and your firewall.

You can safely disable programs such as Word, MS Office, Realplayer, Adobe, Quicktime etc, which will then start when needed and not run in the background taking up resources.

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:57 AM

Most new computers come with an amazing amount of "crapware". My new Toshiba laptop was slowed down by this - but using the Restore CD and not allowing it to install Toshiba apps slimmed it down just fine.

So, the first question is...what brand of computer is it. Is it a laptop or desktop? (yes, I know it's 2 questions!)

Some other forum members may have experience with it and can help you to decide what to get rid of and what to keep.

So, the steps are:
1) Remove all "crapware" that you don't want.
2) Disable the startups that you don't want.
3) Disable the services that you don't want.

Post a list of your startups and services here and I'm sure we'll have lot's of recommendations for you!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

Bloatware (or crapware) is common on many new PC's bought from major vendors such as Dell, HP, or Gateway. I remember a webpage that had a list of every service, what they did, and whether or not it would be safe to disable them. Unfortunately, I don't remember the web address.

3939.png

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:05 AM

You can use our startup program database to determine your preferences:

Bleeping Computer Startups Database
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

0 user(s) are reading this topic