Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with a Root Kit virus, just discovered it today and looking for help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Catfish652

Catfish652

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:07 PM

Hi everyone,

I started running into issues nearly half a year ago I think (I know it was awful of me to wait this long but I did not know it was a rootkit until today as I do not use this computer often) when I downloaded an executable file on accident that after opening up it loaded a bunch of awful spam programs onto my laptop, I thought I had cleaned everything up but kept experiencing issues which led me to believe I did have a rootkit or something but could not locate it.

Later down the road my personal info was attacked but they weren't able to get anything out of any of it, the attacker got the info to my email, twitter, etc. but upon being notified about the logins I quickly changed the passwords and took security measures necessary. Since the original attack nothing has happened since thankfully.

Anyways here I am today where I ran a scan on avast and finally I get a result that a virus named

" C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clrjit.dll:WofCompressedData " was found and it was classified as a rootkit and had high severity, tried to delete it and quarantine but neither worked, so here I am looking for suggestions on what could be done!

I am currently doing some of the things from this post here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584018/tried-to-delete-rootkit-error-access-denied/ but would like more updated help on what I can do, anything would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Catfish652, 15 September 2016 - 11:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:02 PM

Better and safer to remove a rootkit by reposting.

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users