Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device Manager Not Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kokokeeper

kokokeeper

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:48 PM

Help, my device manager is not working.  I am running Windows 7 64 bit on Asus U31J laptop.  When I try to use device manager all that is shown is a white box with no devices listed.  I have checked plug and play and it seems to be enabled correctly.  I also ran sfc /scannow but it did not find anything.  Also, not sure if it is related or not, but when I try to connect my ipad or iphone to my pc to download pictures it no longer works (autorun does not start and the laptop does not appear to "see" the ipad or iphone) and also a dongle I used to use no longer works (it works on other computers though so it is not the dongle).  The usb ports do not seem to be the problem as I can use them for a mouse or external drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:06 AM

I would stop the PnP service...then reboot.  Upon reboot, check to ensure that it has re-enabled itself and then check Device Manager.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:10 PM

Is the image below similar to what you are seeing?  Minus the red masking of course.

d%20manager_zpspje5ozju.png

Edited by dc3, 16 September 2016 - 12:10 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 kokokeeper

kokokeeper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:18 AM

To dc3: yes that is what it looks like.

To hamluis:  I tried but was not able to stop the PnP service.  I got a message to the effect that access was denied.  I think I am having a problem with permissions.  I am the only user on my laptop and i do have Administrator privileges. Not sure what to do. 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:20 AM

Do you see the arrow to the left of the box with the red?  Click on it to expand the tree.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 kokokeeper

kokokeeper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:04 PM

Sorry for the long delay in responding.  Device manager is still not working and I still think I am having a problem regarding permissions.  No I do not see the arrow to the left of the red.  It is just all white under the toolbar.  Just one big empty white space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users