Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe application error once every minute

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 husbutt

husbutt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:46 PM

My Explorer.exe is crashing once every minute. The desktop goes black for a couple of seconds and my CPU goes to 100%.    In the Windows event log I'm seeing the error logged every 60 seconds. I've run quite a few utilities attempting to fix this, including Scannow, and some DISM commands that were suggested.  The last thing I did was the Tweaking.com Windows Repair Tool.  I followed all the steps, and when it finished, and after a reboot it appeared things were fixed.  I came back a couple of hours later and the crashes were back!  Very annoying.

Windows event log details are as follows:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          9/14/2016 9:26:31 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      NewUser-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x57898e92
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0x3690
Faulting application start time: 0x01d20ef865bf4ef0
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 9dcb6465-3695-4c87-acb9-6bdf2ee65c67
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-09-15T02:26:31.034943500Z" />
    <EventRecordID>11113</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>NewUser-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>explorer.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.14393.0</Data>
    <Data>57898e92</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>00000000</Data>
    <Data>3690</Data>
    <Data>01d20ef865bf4ef0</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe</Data>
    <Data>unknown</Data>
    <Data>9dcb6465-3695-4c87-acb9-6bdf2ee65c67</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>

</Event>

In another topic on this forum, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/586464/windows-10-explorerexe-crashes-spontaneously-please-help/ , CKing123 suggested that updating folder permissions could fix this.  Specifically, he said:

""-----------

Open the properties of the folder, and go to security.

Check who is the owner, if you are not the owner of the folder, then log into the owner of the folder (if you are not the owner, and you do not open the folder, explorer will not crash).

Add yourself and give yourself full control (it is the bug where you are the owner, but you are not listed in the group)

Reboot to make sure explorer is not crashing.

If you are having difficulty trying to make the explorer window remain open, then turn on "Launch folder windows in a seperate process"

""------------

On this advice I have a couple of questions:

- When I go to the properties of the folder, should it be C:\Windows, since that's where explorer.exe resides?

- How do I know if I'm the "Owner" of the folder?  I see 6 or 7 names listed, including New User, which is how I'm logged in.  Sounds like I need to log in as whoever is the Owner, but quite not sure how to do that.

Please let me know if I should post any other logs.

Thanks much for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sweedishfish

sweedishfish

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:25 PM

I'd probably install Malwarebytes and then go to "safe mode" and scan the computer. Don't forget to uninstall recently downloaded programs from your computer and also remove any add-ons that you don't recognize from your browser/s

#3 ComputerBits

ComputerBits

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:38 AM

Hi Husbutt

Have you fixed this?

We have a PC which has the initial problem (In the earlier post you replied to) of constant restarts of Win 10 explorer - making it virtually unuseable

It did have minor malware and we removed that initially (prior to restarting) also updated windows 10 completely. somewhere along the line the problem began.

We are 99.9% confident the PC is clean, we have tried all the fixes on the internet we can find, including running tweak util as directed (no effect)

Application Event Viewer is saying the problem is c:\windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Which seems essentially the same type of issue as yours?

#4 ComputerBits

ComputerBits

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:32 AM

Well..

We didn't solve this one!

Had to remove HDD backup user profile then do a windows reset and re-install user profile, then re-install all the apps the user had and re-setup her email etc.. What a pain!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users