Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP ENVY 360 Laptop Headphone Jack Pin-outc

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 drumor

drumor

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:39 PM

I had an unsuccessful experience trying to get HP Hardware to provide me with the pin-out configurations. I was transferred 5 times trying to get someone to help me. My laptop is less than 1 year old and still in warranty. Since I can't get any help there does anyone have the pin-out for their single port headphone jack? I'm trying to feed signal into a RF digital communications interface such as a Signalink or Rigblaster plus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,234 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:32 AM

You might try to download the service manual for said computer...from the HP website.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-x360-Convertible-PC-series/7771362/model/8255118/manuals

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2016 - 07:34 AM.

#3 drumor

drumor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:54 AM

Louis, Thanks for your input. I did search the service manual and the information on the  Audio jack pin-out configuration was not detailed in any way. That was why I placed the call to HP support.

Eldred

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:58 AM

I'm no expert in this regard but isn't the jack pinout a standard for a 3.5mm headphone? Or are you looking for the pinout of the connector on the motherboard. I was doing some searching for the motherboard schematics but it only led me to some paid sites.  

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 September 2016 - 09:59 AM.

#5 drumor

drumor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:35 AM

Hi John, Thanks for your reply. That's what i'm trying to determine. HP went from a dual set of 3.5mm jacks that accommodated mic inputs and audio outputs. Usually the mic input was a 3-conductor jack and the audio out was a 2 conductor jack configuration. Now on the newer HP laptops there is only one jack. I assume this one jack has more than 3 paths and that's what I'm trying to determine so I can wire my digital interfaces correctly.

Eldred

#6 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:44 AM

I have no information on the combined 3.5mm jack you are looking at, but it may be simpler to consider using a cheap USB audio interface with standard (possibly phono/RCA) connections for your requirement.

Edited by rqt, 16 September 2016 - 11:45 AM.

#7 drumor

drumor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:52 AM

RQT, I was looking at a USB interface but it also had a sound card built into it and to me that was overkill aince the laptop and digital interface both already have built in soundcards. That may be the route that I'll have to take.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,590 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:55 AM

HowtoGeek talks about the single jack. I will try to find the schematics on the motherboard if possible.

#9 drumor

drumor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:02 PM

Thank you.

Now I know how a Bose headset user feels when he has to use a Lighting adapter on his new iPhone 7.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,590 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:36 PM

Not having much luck tracking down a schematic. Seems like everything found requires a premium account.

#11 drumor

drumor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:08 PM

John, thanks for putting time into this. If I can't reverse engineer this I may have to spring for premium support.

Take care.

Eldred 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users