Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost is hogging one of my cpu cores

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 afeod

afeod

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:50 PM

Howdy,

Like the title says...on my Dell XPS 13, 25% of the processing power is often being taken up by svchost.exe (with increasing frequency and duration), and it's burning my lap. If I look at the services using (being used by?) the process in task manager, it's a short list:

Appinfo

AeLookupSvc

Browser

LanmanServer

wuauser

Winmgmt

I also see MMCSS and ProfSvc, but I'm pretty sure those aren't always running when this is happening.

Is this normal behavior? Antivirus and antimalware find nothing. Is there a way to see specifically which service is doing this?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 afeod

afeod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:46 PM

I took a guess and killed the Windows Update service. It was a good guess. Now, why is Windows Update running out of control?

Found a relevant thread on StackExchange, which lists several updates that might fix the problem:

http://superuser.com/questions/944574/windows-update-doesnt-work-and-consumes-100-of-cpu-win7-sp1/997067#997067

So for anyone with the same problem, there's your answer. As long as you're okay installing the poorly documented "convenience rollups" that Microsoft started putting out in June, you probably don't have this issue.

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:16 AM

- Try this guide:

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4799.0.html

#4 afeod

afeod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:46 AM

Hey, thanks Willy22! I'll try this as soon as I can find the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users