Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skywave Linux

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:18 PM

Wow! Since I got my amateur radio license awhile back I've played with SDR (Software Defined Radio) off and on over the years. I mean, c'mon - It's ham radio, DX scanning, and computers all jammed together! If that's not the ultimate tech combo then I don't know what is. Now if there was just some way to combine radio with Linux...

Well, today I came across it! A Linux distro made specifically with SDR in mind. Skywave Linux:

This is an operating system designed to provide access to a growing network of software defined radios all over the world. With global SDR access, shortwave listeners can access broadcast, utility, amateur radio, military, and other signals from almost anywhere in the world - from state-of-the art radio servers. All you need to do is boot Skywave Linux on a computer with internet access. You can also run your own SDR hardware in Skywave Linux.

Even though there seems to be a focus on internet radio with this distro, the possibilities increase exponentially when you add a few things, e.g., a DVB-T USB dongle, an inverter, a balun, and a good antenna. I cannot wait to get this installed on my netbook so I can go out and play.

Some reference links for anyone interested about the topic of SDR in general:

Video:

Other:

A programmer's wife sends him to the store for a gallon of milk,

and she adds the instructions, "If there are eggs, buy a dozen."

The programmer goes to the store and returns home with 13 gallons of milk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,988 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:31 PM

It seems as usual there are a few things available to you in Mate via SM, I typed in "hamradio".  Probably some Proprietary stuff online also:

"CQRLOG is an advanced ham radio logger based on MySQL embedded database. Provides radio control based on hamlib libraries (currently support of 140+ radio types and models), DX cluster connection, HamQTH/QRZ callbook (XML access), a grayliner, internal QSL manager database support and a most accurate country resolution algorithm based on country tables developed by OK1RR. CQRLOG is intended for daily general logging of HF, CW & SSB contacts and strongly focused on easy operation and maintenance."

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

Yes, sir! Very nice find!

Linux just isn't the step-child it once was, finding more and more mainstream software every few minutes. 20 years ago we had a choice, but not many options. Today it seems like the software world has finally accepted the popularity and the potential of Linux. Today is a good day!

A programmer's wife sends him to the store for a gallon of milk,

and she adds the instructions, "If there are eggs, buy a dozen."

The programmer goes to the store and returns home with 13 gallons of milk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users