Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Highlighting with Ellipse in Gimp

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:59 PM

Hey guys, just want to use the "Elliptical" tool to circle some things in a PDF.  I can get the tool to circle the area I want but don't see how to "Set it" for lack of better term or "Color" it.  I tried everything to color it, and even just to Set it.  Gimp seems very un-intuitive and the directions are not very good.  I know it's a good tool, but seems not so user/noob friendly.  I'm sure I have done this before but can't get it now.  Then I know how to Export as PDF.

Or even perhaps another tool I could use to do this.  I created a JPEG for now so that I could send the Document to be seen, but need to learn how to do this.

Thanks, pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 15 September 2016 - 03:02 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:20 PM

After 'drawing' the circle, right click on it and select Colours --> Colourify, then in the window that opens, pick a colour or create a custom colour, then click OK to fill the circle with the colour.

Does that answer your question?

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:26 PM

Thanks Al, tried something to that effect, but will give it another go!  I did get a usable document with LibreOffice Draw!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

Cool. I wasn't entirely sure what you meant by "set it."

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:21 PM

then click OK to fill the circle with the colour.

Does that answer your question?

Not trying to fill, trying to make the circle Red, like done in Shutter with png screenshots.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,440 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:05 PM

Hey, pcpunk.

What are you actually trying to do? Do you need a perfect ellipse.....or would a freehand-drawn, approximate one do? Sounds like you're just trying to basically circle some text, yes?

Something like this, perhaps.....

8Iwd0vK.png

Just an illustration, this; a lot depends on how good your mouse control is! This way, it simply looks like you scrawled a circle round some text with a coloured felt tip pen, or something similar.

Yes? No?

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 15 September 2016 - 08:30 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:14 PM

Well yes I prefer the ellipse, I find that the Freehand looks horrible.  

Yes, just trying to circle some text, preferably in RED.  It was actually a "scan to PDF" of some notes from a doctor, and need to point out or highlight them.

Would be happy to use another program if you use a different one.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:23 PM

Got it Mike, used ImageMagick included in Mint Mate.  Always try to use those included programs if possible and it payed off.  Now have to make a tutorial as it was not all that intuitive.  Didn't take me too long but I was at it fiercely lol.  Here is the site for it although I did not use it.

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

Almost went to KDE and tried using Okular, don't know if I can do this in it, but it does a lot.  Also need to find out if it can be installed to Mint Mate because it is a KDE like program.  I see now that Okular does do Ellipse's also! really powerful program, I use it all the time when in KDE!

https://docs.kde.org/trunk4/en/kdegraphics/okular/annotations.html

Thanks for helping guys.  Still open to any other ways of doing this, especially in Mint Mate, don't want to install anything KDE Like that might bugger up my new SSD DualBooter.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:39 PM

I have also found very comprehensive PDF's on GIMP that may help me in future.  Very powerful tool that might be too much for these simple tasks!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,440 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:54 AM

Morning, pcpunk.

Yes, you could be right about GIMP being way too powerful for the type of thing you want to do!

GIMP and Photoshop are both what are known as raster graphic editors; they manipulate data right down to the level of the individual pixel. The sort of thing you require is usually taken care of by rather more simple photo editors, which are normally vector graphic editors (and that's what ImageMagick is.)

If I want to do what you require, I run a Windows app called PhotoScape (by Mooi) under WINE. It's not something most people would want to do, installing over 600 MB of WINE just to do a simple photo edit. However, I've been using PhotoScape almost since it first appeared on the scene, nearly 7 yrs ago. I use it in combination with the GIMP & Photoshop for most of my graphics projects; I 'draft' in PhotoScape, then move to the raster graphic editors to 'put flesh on the bones'. I got so handy with PhotoScape over the years, that I was really pleased to find out that it runs perfectly under WINE (and I need WINE for my copy of Photoshop CS2 (which also runs 100% perfectly!))

It's 'horses for courses', mate. It all depends on what you want to do..!

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,440 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:49 AM

Hi again, pcpunk.

Upon experimentation, I find that Inkscape will also do the job you want, albeit in a slightly different fashion.

Here's the same image from before, still with the freehand, but also showing a highlighted ellipse.....and also a highlighted rectangle:-

lIVlIrT.png

Very simple to achieve, too.

1) Open Inkscape.

2) Open your image file.

3) Select your colour from the bottom bar.

4) Select the shape you want from the side bar.

5) Apply the shape you want in the desired location. Initially, it comes up as a solid colour, so right-click>Fill/Stroke.

6) In the window that comes up, set the opacity slider to where you want it, then 'OK'.

7) Move it to where you want it, and adjust proportions with the 'handles'.

8) Finally, 'File'>'Save As' in the desired format.

That's it! BTW, Puppy comes supplied as standard with InkscapeLite, which is a very cut-down version of this.....half the features are missing. Now I've installed this to try out a few things for you, I think I'm going to keep it; it seems to be a cross between PhotoScape and the GIMP. I like it!

Hope that helps.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 September 2016 - 07:27 AM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:40 AM

I will look at those, and PhotoScape sounds good, especially since you know it so well.  I will have to re-Partition before hand because don't have much room left for WINE.  Running new SSD and don't want to over fill the current partition.  Thought I would install another distro but now think I'd better just allocate that space to Mint Mate, and have room to run more programs.

Thanks again Mike!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,440 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:54 PM

Hi again, pcpunk.

Here's the link for MooiiTech's PhotoScape:-

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

Not only does it do a bang-on job of ordinary photo-editing, with tons of tools to play with, it's also a brilliant GIF editor. Unfortunately, however, that functionality is only there when you run it in Windows. There seems to be something fundamental missing in Linux, so it's not able to run.

But for all that, it's definitely one for the 'toolbox'..! If you don't mind installing WINE, it's well worth it.

Have fun!

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:02 PM

See this video tutorial for your original GIMP question!

Videos are always easier for such things...  :wink:

Alternatively you can use Pinta.

If you've ever used Paint.NET or even Paint on Windows you're going to really like it!

Pinta is no GIMP but it can do a lot and even supports layers!

The things you are trying are super simple to achieve with Pinta!

It's available in the repositories or you can add a PPA for the up to date version.

Both methods explained: How To Install Pinta

To be honest... Pinta is my number one choice for image editing on Linux!

Greets!  :wink:

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

See this video tutorial for your original GIMP question!

Videos are always easier for such things...  :wink:

Alternatively you can use Pinta.

If you've ever used Paint.NET or even Paint on Windows you're going to really like it!

Pinta is no GIMP but it can do a lot and even supports layers!

The things you are trying are super simple to achieve with Pinta!

To be honest... Pinta is my number one choice for image editing on Linux!

Greets!  :wink:

That tutorial might help thanks.  I looked in the official GIMP Directions and wasted even more time, because it was not only unclear, the directions didn't seem complete for this simple task.

Nice about Pinta, because ImageMagick was not all that easy to use, basic, but not easy to figure out with out directions.  I will play with it more because I'm impressed that it could even be done without directions!  Something like Shutter would be nice, something that don't take forever to learn, just to use once in a while.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users