Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with my seagate 8TB external drive

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

Give Fatdog a try. If it can mount the drive then there is some issue between the drive and Windows 10. You may need to reformat the disk.

I just tried connecting the 8TB drive to my laptop after using it last night and now even my laptop won't ID the drive - my laptop won't list it anywhere, so I was unable to see if it didn't migrate the drive like my PC won't.  I had run a Scan/Fix on the drive using my laptop last week which made the music I stored on the drive sound funky, and may have truly screwed the drive for good, so I now have no choice but to erase and re-format the drive to see if that fixes my issue.  The Seatools software can see and diagnose my drive and the diagnostics are showing up as "no problems, healthy drive" but nothing is being displayed regarding the SMART file on the drive that would tell me read times, spin rates, etc.  I want to ensure that I don't have any bad heads in the drive.

I am choosing to do a Sanitize/overwrite of the drive to get completely rid of all files on the drive so I start fresh like it was out of the box. 

I do want to find a program that can make copying drives easier for backing up my music on external drives - is this cloning I'm looking for or a copy program?   Any suggestions?  In the past, I've just used copy/paste method to copy my external drives, but I've found that some files failed to transition over to the new drive.

My Seagate drives are formatted as GD NTSF partitions - all I put on the drives is my music for my DJ business.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:42 PM

For backing up files and doing disk images take a look at Aomei Backupper. It can create incremental and differential backups on disk images and file backups.

http://www.backup-utility.com/

#18 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:14 PM

For backing up files and doing disk images take a look at Aomei Backupper. It can create incremental and differential backups on disk images and file backups.

http://www.backup-utility.com/

Well, this is really bizarre..while doing the sanitize, the drive failed the sanitize, then passed a short test using Seatools.  I selected to try the wipe/sanitize again and it failed again, then the drive failed a short test.  I'm following the instructions provided by Seagate to ensure the drive is a true FAILED drive because if it does not fail when it gets to Seagate, then they'll send it right back to me plus charge me for shipping the drive back to me. I have to run a long generic test on the drive to see if the drive fails that - so far, the short generic is telling me an error code that "serial number not found" - would that cause windows to not connect or "migrate" a drive?  I'm waiting on the results of the long test - I might have a faulty drive on my hands....

#19 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:19 PM

I'm not sure if a serial not found would cause the migrate issue. I never ran into that error before but is sure sounds like a failing drive. Does the test give a log of SMART attributes?

#20 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:44 PM

I'm not sure if a serial not found would cause the migrate issue. I never ran into that error before but is sure sounds like a failing drive. Does the test give a log of SMART attributes?

Well, I have no clue how to access the SMART data on the drive - the long generic test has stalled at the very start and now Seatools is "crashing" or "freezing" when trying to communicate with the drive. Then I'll disconnect the drive and shut down Seatools, reconnect the drive and re-boot seatools and run a short test - it will pass the short diagnostic.  Then I'll run the short or long generic tests and they'll show no progress for 30 minutes - the drive is spinning - but no progress being made.  On the Seatools main screen where it displays the serial numbers of detected drives - the serial displayed for the external drive does not match the serial number on the hard drive case itself.

#21 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:11 PM

Download Gsmartcontrol and do the short/long tests. You can also check the attributes tab before running the test.

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users