Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with my seagate 8TB external drive

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 tzoromski135

tzoromski135

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:40 PM

Hi all,

I'm really frustrated with my PC right now - I have several external drives that I save stuff to and up until today, I had no issues with any of them connecting and accessing them on my PC.  Today, I go to update my files on my 8TB drive and I hear the "sound" that the PC makes when you attach a device to USB and the light on the external drive turns on.  I go under "This PC" and the drive is NOT listed. I go to the tool bar and click on the ^ icon to reveal the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" icon and click on it to see if the drive is seen - it was only listed as "Backup+ Desk" and not the usual "Seagate Backup+"

I go to Device Manager and it slowly loads and it does display the icon labeled "Backup+", so I double click on it to open the properties of the drive and click on the Hardware Tab.  Under the Hardware tab, I have "Seagate Backup+ Desk SCSI Disk Device" and under that is USB SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device.  I double click on Seagate Backup+ Desk SCSI Disk Device and it opens up properties which labels the drive properly and says "device is working properly" however under the "Volumes" Tab, all entries are blank - nothing is listed for format, disk volume type, status, etc.  Under the "Events" tab, I get this:

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_Seagate&Prod_Backup+__Desk\000000 could not be migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_&PROD_FLASH_ROM&REV_2.05\000100000000&0
Class Guid: {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FC00FFFFF120
Present: false

I try the drive on one of my laptops and have no issues accessing the drive, however a window pops up saying there's a problem with the drive and a scan is recommended to fix the drive from further issues.  I go ahead and do the scan thinking this might fix my problem on my PC - Once that scan finished and I removed the hard drive from the laptop, I reconnected the drive to my PC and it still does not "migrate" the drive.  How do I fix this?

Edited by hamluis, 20 September 2016 - 08:23 PM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

"Migration" when used with hard drives seems to mean movement of data to/from a given drive.

FWIW:  See Answer By Andrew

Louis

#3 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:11 PM

My PC is the only computer that doesn't list this drive under "This PC".  I am trying to transfer files to the external drive using my laptop and the transfer process is EXTREMELY slow!  WTF is going on?!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:27 PM

Detach all the USB external drives. Download USBDeview and remove all your external drives listed. Reboot and attach the 8TB drive. Sometimes the USB driver for the device can get wonky.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

#5 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:31 PM

I did a hardware diagnostic and I don't know what the hell is going on with Microsoft, however it seems I was missing DRIVERS for my laptop since the last windows update.  Since the diagnostic, it restarted my computer and now the file transfers are going faster like it should do.  I'm REALLY starting to HATE Windows 10!!!  Still my PC does not "list" my drive under my PC, so I assume I have to do a system restore or something - this is the ONLY drive that I'm having issues with.  I have 3 other external drives - all the same USB3 format and they have NO issues being identified by my PC.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,256 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:38 PM

I would disable Windows 10's ability to do a driver update. 

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:09 PM

I hope you have a backup of this backup drive; it sounds like Windows 10 is taking this thing to its woodshed.  I post that because you mentioned earlier running the Scan and Fix option.  Please make sure your important data folders and files are actually directory-viewable, program readable or viewable, program changeable [where applicable].  From both good and NotSoGood experiences with my external hard-drives, I am concerned about the results of that Scan and Fix.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:01 PM

I hope you have a backup of this backup drive; it sounds like Windows 10 is taking this thing to its woodshed.  I post that because you mentioned earlier running the Scan and Fix option.  Please make sure your important data folders and files are actually directory-viewable, program readable or viewable, program changeable [where applicable].  From both good and NotSoGood experiences with my external hard-drives, I am concerned about the results of that Scan and Fix.

Windows better not be killing my drive - it's brand new - only 6 months old!

#9 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

I've been trying to figure out why only 1 of my 8TB Seagate External Hard Drives (I have 2) is not working with my home PC.  I can access it using my laptops - no problems at all - but my PC cannot "migrate" the disk.  My other 8TB external hard drive works fine - I bought both drives at the same time.  None of them have been mishandled or anything.  I'm assuming that the computer has to "migrate" the disk in order to access its files?  Any ideas how to fix this or

I have 2 of these 8 TB external drives and only 1 has issues on my PC, yet it works on my laptop, so I'm not sure what's causing it.  With the hard drive I'm having issues with, it is not listed under "This PC" or under "Disk Management", however it IS listed under Device Manager and when I right click on the drive, select properties, then in the properties window, I go to the "Events" tab and I see that today at 5:32pm, device installed(disk.inf), Device Started(disk), Device Configured(disk.inf), Device Not Migrated.  Not sure why my PC is the ONLY computer that cannot "migrate" just this disk - it worked fine 2 weeks ago.

I used SeaTools to assess or "test" the drive and it showed no issues, so I'm at a loss.  I store my music for my DJ business on these drives and the drive I am not able to access on my PC now has a minor "popping" noise over the music I play off of it - the other drive doesn't have that noise.  Early last week, I had connected the "problem" drive to my laptop which had no issues migrating the drive - I could access the files on it - however it did give me a message that the disk had an error and needed to be scanned and fixed - which I allowed, but it did not "fix" the issue with my PC and this drive - possibly that "scan and fix" screwed up my music as well.

Like I said - I'm now at a loss...any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 20 September 2016 - 08:22 PM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,256 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:17 PM

There may be a non-present driver that is conflicting with the 8tb drive. Download DriveCleanupCMD.exe here. Unzip to a folder and open and elevated command prompt. Move to the folder in the command prompt using the CD command to change directories. Use the appropriate 32bit or 64bit exe file. At the command prompt type

drivecleanupcmd * 

Will ceate a restore point and remove all non-present devices. Attach your hard drive and see if it is detected.

If you prefer not to use the command line to delete everything use the GUI version and delete any disk drive/flash drive that was attached.  devicecleanup.zip

Edit: If you have a powered USB hub available see if that helps

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 September 2016 - 06:21 PM.

#11 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:48 PM

There may be a non-present driver that is conflicting with the 8tb drive. Download DriveCleanupCMD.exe here. Unzip to a folder and open and elevated command prompt. Move to the folder in the command prompt using the CD command to change directories. Use the appropriate 32bit or 64bit exe file. At the command prompt type

drivecleanupcmd * 

Will ceate a restore point and remove all non-present devices. Attach your hard drive and see if it is detected.

If you prefer not to use the command line to delete everything use the GUI version and delete any disk drive/flash drive that was attached.  devicecleanup.zip

Edit: If you have a powered USB hub available see if that helps

I tried this and restarted the computer and once it was completely booted, connected the 8TB Seagate drive that I've been having "migrating" issues with and still my PC will not migrate the drive.  It still won't appear under Disk Management, however it does appear under Device Manager and it shows under "Properties" and "events" that at 2:21: Device Started(disk), Device Configured(disk.inf), Device Not Migrated, and now it says Device Deleted.

It did not state "device deleted" before.  Here's the entire error regarding "not migrating":

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_Seagate&Prod_Backup+__Desk\000000 could not be migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_&PROD_FLASH_ROM&REV_2.05\000100000000&0
Class Guid: {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FC00FFFFF120
Present: false

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,256 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:00 PM

What is the OS on the computer that cannot "Migrate" the drive? 

To rule out some hardware compatibility issue I would download a live linux distro like Fatdog64. Burn the iso file to disk and boot it. If you have Windows 8 or 10 you may need to disable SecureBoot. When at the Fatdog desktop attach your drive that is having the problem. A USB icon will appear in the lower left desktop and the partition will mount automatically. A file manager window will open and show all your files.

Fatdog64

Fatdog64-702.iso

If fatdog mounts the partition and shows your files then you may need to delete all partitions, create a new one and format it.

#13 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:01 PM

Just checked on my laptop - no issues of my laptop seeing the 8TB HD that my PC refuses to migrate, so I am at a loss for words as to why only this drive went from no problems to it refusing to migrate the drive in just a week -  I made no changes to my system since then(except for the SeaTools and Seagate Disk Wizard plus scanning utilities recommended to diagnose on here).  I have 1 other 8TB Seagate HD that works fine without problems, and 2 other smaller external drives that also have no issues.

#14 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:02 PM

What is the OS on the computer that cannot "Migrate" the drive? 

To rule out some hardware compatibility issue I would download a live linux distro like Fatdog64. Burn the iso file to disk and boot it. If you have Windows 8 or 10 you may need to disable SecureBoot. When at the Fatdog desktop attach your drive that is having the problem. A USB icon will appear in the lower left desktop and the partition will mount automatically. A file manager window will open and show all your files.

Fatdog64

Fatdog64-702.iso

If fatdog mounts the partition and shows your files then you may need to delete all partitions, create a new one and format it.

I have Windows 10 on all my computers/laptops. 

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,256 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:07 PM

Give Fatdog a try. If it can mount the drive then there is some issue between the drive and Windows 10. You may need to reformat the disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users