Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 10 update slows my internet and has been stuck on 95%

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tierra93

Tierra93

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:09 PM

I've noticed my internet slow for a few days (so slow can barely do email) and checked for updates and looks like it's stuck on 95% and stopped downloading.

Anyway to simple fix this problem?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joshuals

joshuals

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:40 PM

Same problem here.  At first it stalled at 50% on Tuesday night.  Then on Wednesday it advanced to 95% and has remained there.  Here's a link that I found, but I'm going to wait a little longer to see if it restarts on its own before trying it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/247380/how-to-fix-windows-update-when-it-gets-stuck/

I'll post back when something happens.

Edited by joshuals, 15 September 2016 - 04:41 PM.

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/kb3189866-cumulative-update-stuck

I'm not sure if this is related to your slow internet issue, Joshuals.  You should do a malware scan or check your ISP for any issues.

But if you're getting stuck when trying to install KB3189866, then try the above link.  I had this issue (where the download was "stuck", but mine stalled at 48%.).

To solve the issue, download the update manually from the link provided either "32 bit version" or "64 bit version".  You will find the direct links near the bottom of the article.

Reboot afterwards, then check for updates manually.  Any remaining ones, should now complete to install.

Let us know. :thumbup2:

#4 waveydavey

waveydavey

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:09 AM

I had the same problem and followed the last link from "I am Canadian"and problem solved.Thanks

#5 joshuals

joshuals

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:30 AM

Malware was not the problem, as I had very recently run a FRST scan and found only a couple of orphans that I cleaned up.

The link provided by I_am_CanadianEh? appears to be similar to this one that I found:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-fix-windows-10-cumulative-update-kb3189866-getting-stuck-at-95-percent-508281.shtml

Anyway, I never had a chance to use any of the links in this thread.  When I powered the computer on this morning the "Downloading Updates 95%" message was gone from Settings -> Update & Security and it allowed me to restart the download from zero.  The download took place in less than two minutes and the update installed correctly.  As it turned out, the "stuck" update was, in fact, KB3189866.  All the other updates from this Patch Tuesday had successfully installed themselves on Wednesday and Thursday.

Thank you to those that replied.

#6 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the help.

I ran the update troubleshooter several different times and finally it said it was going to update several update. But then it gave an error message about the computer being shut down (and it wasn't) and then went back to being stuck at 95%.

Should I just download the updates?

Thank you

#7 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:51 AM

Now when I check it says it's updated and needs restarting; however, I did it.  And at the same time it's acting like it's getting ready to download again.

#8 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:10 AM

Thank you - after doing the troubleshooting several times finally got it to download and install.

Thank you - everyone!

#9 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:37 PM

Now, windows defender doesn't work since this update.  I get an error: 0x8050800c - how do I fix this?

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:51 AM

Now, windows defender doesn't work since this update.  I get an error: 0x8050800c - how do I fix this?

Make sure there are no more Win Updates pending or needing a restart.

Then have a read here if that doesn't work

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/wiki/protect_defender-protect_start/problems-starting-windows-defender-in-windows/808253bb-db89-4db9-a4e5-1c91a86489e9

#11 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:55 AM

Thanks - Opera. 

There were no more updates.  But it's working now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users