Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me pick, Kaspersky Internet Security vs NOD32

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JediRevan

JediRevan

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:47 AM

I can get KIS for 25$ for 3 users and 18 months. NOD 32 is 40$ and it is for 3 users for 1 year. Please tell me about your experiences using them. I'll be putting the winner on my desktop (win10 64 bit) and laptop (win8.1 64 bit).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:48 PM

ESET NOD32 is a trustworthy and effective antivirus solution which leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. ESET Antivirus and Smart Security uses a Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) to monitor system activity and uses a pre-defined set of rules to recognize suspicious system behavior. When this type of activity is identified, HIPS stops the offending program from carrying out potentially harmful activity. ESET Antivirus (and Smart Security) includes Exploit Blocker which is designed to fortify applications that are often exploited, such as web browsers, PDF readers, email clients or MS Office components. Further, it does not conflict with other security programs I use on my computers. You may want to read the following.ESET also has the added advantage of blocking the installation of Potentially Unsafe Applications (PUAs), Potentially Unwanted Application/Unwanted Content and most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

KB3204Fig1-1.png
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 JediRevan

JediRevan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

Do you know if either company offers a rebate for returning customers and if you can change your license key in the future? For example, I buy the key from best buy because it's so cheap, but I only need it for 2 computers, not 3, so one is unused. Can I tell them in the future to change it for only 2 computers and maybe it'll be cheaper that way?

Also, Kaspersky got top pick on AV-Test quite a few times this year alone, so why would someone pick ESET over Kaspersky? Any advantages that ESET has over KIS that are worth the extra 15$ and 6 months less protection?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:18 PM

Also, Kaspersky got top pick on AV-Test quite a few times this year alone, so why would someone pick ESET over Kaspersky? Any advantages that ESET has over KIS that are worth the extra 15$ and 6 months less protection?

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc. Comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, objectivity and data results.

Some of the testing criteria and standards may even be misleading.

...for some unknown reason...the renowned German test lab AV-TEST has quietly (there was no warning) modified its certification process. The changes mean that the certificates produced by the new rules are, to put it mildly, pretty useless for evaluating the merits of different AV products...With AV-TESTs new certification standards, the onus is on the user to carefully investigate the actual results of each individual testthey may find that a product that blocked 99.9% of attacks has the same certification as a product that only blocked 55%.

Comparative testing: A bit of background for the uninitiated

Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus testing is going to detect anything.

#5 zunzutech

zunzutech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

I would suggest ESET NOD32 due to the fact that it's Memory Scanner is much more effective than Kaspersky's. ESET's Live Grid is also very well designed and often results in very fast detection of new "in-the-wild" samples.

#6 JediRevan

JediRevan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:35 PM

Now what would you suggest between Emsisoft Anti Malware and ESET Nod32? And what else to complement them? I have MB and Zelmana, but they are both the free versions. Also Vodoo shield, and will get rid of Java and Flash soon. Thanks.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antivirus platform that includes anti-malware protection. Emsisoft uses two scanning engines, combining its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus and three security levels (or layers) of protection to prevent the installation of malware and stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. These layers consist of surf protection, a dual-engine file guard, and advanced behavior blocking analysis which is extremely difficult to penetrate.

Emsisoft’s Behavior Blocker continually monitors the behavior of all active programs looking for any anomalies that may be indicative of malicious activity and raises an alert as soon as something suspicious occurs. This advanced behavior blocking technology is able to detect unknown zero-day attacks, file-less malware that resides only in memory, zombies (the hijacking of host processes to load malicious code which execute via script parser programs), and file-encrypting malware (ransomware) attacks.

Emsisoft, like ESET, also has the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

eam_pup_728x574_en.png

#8 JediRevan

JediRevan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:54 PM

So I am to understand that you rate Emsisoft higher than ESET then? Regardless of the minor differences between the two, I think that the loyal customer discount of Emsisoft with free software for purchases and renewals, free help with infections and nice assistance on the forums gives it the edge over all other AV.

Now, could you be so kind and direct me to some topics that talk about software that complements Emsisoft Anti Malware and best practices on the internet? I had Emsisoft Internet Security for a year, and the constant popups asking me if I want to allow x program through the firewall was tiresome and I mostly had no idea what I was doing with it. I could not even log in to Nexus mods through Mod Organizer because I think it was blocked......so I'm going to make my life easier this time and stick with Emsisoft Anti Malware only and use the Windows firewall and some on demand scanners like MB and any others people suggest.

Sorry for the ramble, but I like having a discussion about software and I want to learn many things just so I know WHY this and that is better and how they work... I was clueless about accounting until I took the time to understand why things are the way they are and work that way and now I have a much easier time at school :D

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

It's a tough choice since I like and use both products. I can tell you that some of the employees involved with Emsisoft product development, research and technical support are well known security experts who have volunteered their personal time to assist victims of malware infection long before their program was created. They still stay personally involved with helping victims on Internet forum boards as well as provide individual support services to users of their products. This means they are personally tuned into the day to day analysis of active malware and any reported issues with their software so they are able to respond quickly to them.

At least three of the Emsisoft Team provide assistance to members here at Bleeping Computer. Fabian Wosar is a Security Developer, GT500 is a Security Colleague and Elise is our Malware Study Hall Admin who oversees the Bleeping Computer Training Program.

No amount of money can buy such dedication and support.

You do not need a third party Firewall...just use Windows built-in Firewall.You may also want to read Whats the point of having a firewall?

And if you have not done so already, you may want to read:Here are links to some related discussion topics:Here are links to BC polls:

#10 MoreParanoidThanThou

MoreParanoidThanThou

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

Nod32 has a very leaky firewall in general, possibly worse than Windows firewall.
They wont let you block their telemetry at all with their software.

Kaspersky has forced updates and forced KSN telemetry.
If you block their telemetry you will be disconnected from the internet one or more times a day due to the software being confused.

They are both very good other than that but Kaspersky has much better tech with Application Control.

Edited by MoreParanoidThanThou, 01 October 2016 - 02:54 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:27 PM

As I noted in Post #9, you do not need a third party Firewall so you do not need an Internet Suite which includes a Firewall and costs more money...just use Windows built-in Firewall.

#12 JediRevan

JediRevan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:46 PM

I'm using the full blown NOD32 for a month for free and since I already used Emsisoft in the past, I'll make a decision once it expires. But, NOD32 is considerably cheaper here in Canada.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:53 PM

Cost is always a consideration.