Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to move desktop icon (web url shortcut)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:59 AM

Is there something I can do that will allow me to make web url shortcuts moveable on the desktop? To make the shortcuts in general I open up the home folder and browser side by side. Highlight the entire address bar and drag it into the home folder to create a shortcut. From there I move the shortcut to the desktop folder, but after that if you try to move it by dragging it around, you get a "login" thing.

Whats going on and what can I do to be able to drag the shortcut around?

LylW7Gv.png

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:22 AM

Which desktop and operating system are you using?

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

Ubuntu 16.04 w/Unity.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:55 AM

I have 16.04.1 with firefox and do not get two icons when copying a shortcut to home then the desktop. In fact the icon I get is your bottom icon. Did you create the shortcut when logged into a website? Do you get two icons when creating a shortcut of the home page of BC?

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

Ubuntu 16.04 w/Unity.

-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/626919/unable-to-move-desktop-icon-web-url-shortcut/#entry4084879

Is there something I can do that will allow me to make web url shortcuts moveable on the desktop?

-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/626919/unable-to-move-desktop-icon-web-url-shortcut/#entry4084834

You shouldn't have to do anything. They should be movable, but I did a test of my own, and was unable to move them either. Other files worked fine for dragging around.

but after that if you try to move it by dragging it around, you get a "login" thing.

-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/626919/unable-to-move-desktop-icon-web-url-shortcut/#entry4084834

Based on the icon, it would seem to be another web shortcut, as that is the default icon that is used. I have not encountered this issue.

Whats going on and what can I do to be able to drag the shortcut around?

Normally files on the desktop are draggable, but .desktop files appear not to work. I get an error message when I try. The error message doesn't always show up.

Error while copying "/".
There was an error copying the file into /home/example1/Desktop.
Show more details
Error opening file '/': Is a directory

"/" is a directory, but this operation has nothing to do with that directory, and the file in question is a file. It seems there is an issue detecting the file, and so "/" is attempted to be copied instead.

In Nautilus (the file manager) I can't move .desktop files to different folders. I get the same error. I can move them to different folders using PCManFM (a different file manager), and using the mv command.

If I uninstall Nautilus, and log back in, then files don't show up on the desktop. I take it by that Compiz (the default window manager) relies on Nautilus to display them. When I switch to LXDE (a different desktop environment) which uses Openbox (a different window manager), then .desktop files are draggable on the desktop.

So it's Nautilus (the default file manager) causing the dragging issue. A bug perhaps? If it's a bug, there is nothing you can do about that except wait for someone to fix it.

Edited by hollowface, 15 September 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:21 AM

Yeah thanks punk :whistle: , what gave you that idea?

@Fairy:

Would that it were as friend punk has suggested, but not so with Unity.

I first learnt of this problem about 18 months ago, but as I was gravitating away from Unity and embracing new Distros and Families, I did not pursue it further.

I am disappointed in Mark Shuttleworth’s team at Canonical that it still persists.

The fault is with Nautilus aka Files, the File Manager for Unity. Nautilus is developed and maintained by GNOME, but fault also lies with Canonical for not providing more recent versions in a timely fashion.

A bug has existed since at least Ubuntu 13.10 and perhaps prior, with Nautilus interfering with this quite understandable wish to have a shortcut or launcher to specific URLs on your Desktop.

I will provide some handy reading links at the end of this Post, but first let’s get into your problem.

Having an icon associated with a URL involves a file ending in .desktop, used much as Windows used to use a .ini file.

As an example, I tried creating a file in a text editor (gedit on Unity) to link with BC, looked as follows:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Link to Bleeping Computer
Type=Link
URL=http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
Icon=text-html

Saved it and made it executable. Problem was, once I made it executable and doubleclicked it, it reverted to the type of icon you have, which cannot be moved and when attempted, provides an error message about “/” being a directory.

Scratch that idea. But I wouldn’t be the Wizard without having a few tricks up my sleeve, so I proceeded as follows. The video shows what I did on one of my spare 16.04 Unities, and following its insertion, I just summarise a few points and provide those links.

The video is in two parts, because you have to log out or reboot (I have rebooted, in the first instance, then used logout to confirm it works as well) in order for the changes to take effect.

And video 2

So first up, read through the following:

1. I establish what version of Files I am using, which can be done through a search under Nautilus in Synaptic Package Manager, or if you have your Menu Bar set up for Files, under Help – About. It’s v3.14.3, which both you and I have (or I had)
  2. Having established from one of the links below that there is a bug in Nautilus, I thought to check for a ppa to get the latest and see if the bug has/had been fixed.
  3. It had, but there are mixed reports as to whether it was fixed with 3.15.4 or as late as 3.18.2. No matter. It is now fixed, but not with your install as it stands.
  4. You can add the ppa, if you wish, with the following: <sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3>
  5. … I did. Then it is a matter of <sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade> and follow the prompts. You may be given some output about first purging any gnome3 presence, also of using dist-upgrade, you may wish to follow it. I didn’t, but I have Distros to burn.
  6. Given that we are monkeying with our File Manager, you may be best advised to backup/safeguard your data, and/or take a Timeshift snapshot before Step 5, so you can roll back your System like Windows Restore. See my Tutorial in that Section on Aptik, which describes how to install both Aptik and Timeshift together.

You’ll find that the end product is that you can move the link icon wherever you like on the Desktop. You can rename it whatever. You can possibly change the icon, I haven’t the time to look into that. Let me know if you can.

Two (2) minor/major changes:

1. With Nautilus (& with other apps), whether you have the menu bar at the top of your window or at the top of your screen (& if the latter, whether it only appears with mouseover) is controlled through System Settings-Appearance-Behaviour. With the upgrade in Nautilus, the multiple items on the Menu Bar reverts to one item, saying Files. It is dropdown, take a wander through it.
  2. The icon on the desktop for the URL (in my case, BC) is larger than I would expect. Right-click and choose Resize Icon if you wish, then grab the corner and use as a handle.

Recommended reading is as follows:

UBUNTU UNITY – DESKTOP LAUNCHER/SHORTCUT TO URLs

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1278437 shows Bug since at least 13.10

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1278437 – indicates fixed from Nautilus v3.15.4 onwards but 16.04 is running v3.14.3. Yakkety Yak may fix.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/760309/how-do-i-upgrade-gnome-files-nautilus-in-ubuntu-gnome-16-04 – ppa for Nautilus

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus – where you can get Nautilus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Files – has “Version 3.18 introduced integration with Google Drive[18][19] and GOA (gnome-online-accounts)[20] settings.

The above solution works for two instances, or iterations of Ubuntu 16.04 ‘Xenial Xerus’ with the Unity Desktop… that I have onboard.

I can also run it through:

• 15.10 ‘Wily Werewolf’ - unsupported now but I still run it
  • 14.04.5 ‘Trusty Tahr’ and
  • Vinux 5.0 for the visually challenged, based on ‘Trusty Tahr’

… if you prefer to wait 24 hours.

The above is just my way of a workaround. There may be, or are likely to be, other solutions. With this one, by adding the ppa, you will now always have the most current version of Nautilus readily distributed.

If an Ubuntu Unity user sticks their hand up, I can tailor this to a Tutorial that will be readily accessible after Fairy’s Topic fades into the back pages. Just let me know.

Cheers

:wizardball:  Wizard

BTW - at the Mods - if I make a Tute out of this, I will valiantly resist calling it "Naughty Nautilus"

Edited added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 18 September 2016 - 06:26 AM.

#7 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for all the info ^-^. Though I have decided to pursue linux mint at this time after the issues. But Ill probably have tried out 10 other distros by the time you see this message and have a different opinion on what i want :P.

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:55 AM

That's OK - I got to play with videos and learned a couple of things about Unity along the way.

If you go with Linux Mint, go 18. It's quite good, but if you put 17.3 'Rosa' on first, don't upgrade it using Clem Lefebvre's Tutorial, it bricked my Mint, and I think Brian's (Condobloke). Use a fresh install.

Mods - heads up, I am headed your way with a Tute on Ubuntu and URLs on desktop, lol.

I guess this wraps up this Topic

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

I don't use Ubuntu but it looks like you can install the Launcher Creator from Ubuntu Apps, or others, and follow the directions that I posted, well, you can't now because they were deleted.

Edited by pcpunk, 21 September 2016 - 11:55 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users