Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SUPERAntiSpyware Free? Fell Out of Favor?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 977 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:11 AM

I was reading another thread about removing adware and read a response and statement from a BC Advisor.

I suggest that you uninstall Super Antispyware if it is the free version. It has fallen out of favor with the security professionals.

Is this true, as I do not recall reading anything?

Edited by sikntired, 15 September 2016 - 07:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:13 AM

Mostly because SUPERAntiSpyware isn't the same as it was years ago. You could say that it's "glory age" is over. There are better Antimalware out there now like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Hitman.Pro, Zemana Anti-Malware, etc. Plus, SUPERAntiSpyware is almost guaranteed to always return something during its scans, because it also flags cookies (which aren't malicious) and it makes users believe that they are infected because they flaged them as (Adware.TrackingCookies) even though they aren't adware. That's how I see it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:40 AM

Mostly because SUPERAntiSpyware isn't the same as it was years ago. You could say that it's "glory age" is over. There are better Antimalware out there now like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Hitman.Pro, Zemana Anti-Malware, etc. Plus, SUPERAntiSpyware is almost guaranteed to always return something during its scans, because it also flags cookies (which aren't malicious) and it makes users believe that they are infected because they flaged them as (Adware.TrackingCookies) even though they aren't adware. That's how I see it.

Sorry, but among these, what you suggest, is the only usable MBAM, if it is regitered unrestricted version.
And now, do not start to criticize, I have they all, so I know exactly, what each of them is capable or not. SUPERAntiSpyware have also, but not the free version, but professional. And it is much better then several others, what You named.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:43 AM

That's fine, it's your opinion and I have mine. Plus, maybe I'm more biased to favorite these products because we know the people who works behind them and they are invested in the Malware Removal Community as well.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:48 AM

I would say that it is not that SUPERAntiSpyware has fallen out of favor....it's just that it is not as effective as it used to be. However, I see nothing wrong with using it as a second opinion scanner along with other more effective anti-malware tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 977 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:16 AM

Thank you all for responses and opinions. I have had SAS for many years and use it for another scan option. I realize that it flags cookies as adware however those are overlooked.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:44 AM

Like Kaljukass, I used SAS pro version for a few years, finally gave it up along with many other pay-fors because of monies situation.  I too find SAS flagging many cookies, however, no harm done.  I do miss some the of extra "toys" that came with the pro version.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

SUPERAntiSpyware will scan for cookies by default and show them as Adware.Tracking Cookies threat detections. There is no need to scan for them since cookies pose no significant threat (see here) and anti-malware scanners have more important things to look for. You can ignore scanning for cookies by changing the settings and disabling the option to "Search for cookies". Doing that will also decrease the amount of time it takes to perform a scan.

To disable "Search for cookies", launch SUPERAntiSpyware.
1. From the Main Menu or system tray icon, select System Tools & Program Settings.
2. Click Advanced Scan Settings.
3. Under Scanner Options, uncheck the box Scan Internet browser tracking cookies.
4. Click OK to save the settings.
5. Click Done to return to the Main Menu and then select Scan This Computer...
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 977 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the instructions on how to disable search function for 'cookies' quietman7. Having used SAS for years I guess I was just too lazy to do so, or probably more so inclined to ignore.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

You're welcome.