Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel Question, Should This Be Here?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Karlie

Karlie

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 03:41 PM

I am trying to get up enough courage to do the XP SP upgrade and just went to the control panel to take another look at what lurks there. At the bottom of the loooooooong list of hotfixes for SP1 are 7 hotfixes with (SP2) indicated. Why are they there? I am a novice at this and am scared to death of this update. I understand I should uninstall AVG, Spybot, Spyware blaster, run CC cleaner, scan disc and defrag, delete temp files. Anything else? Can do all that but if I get hung up in the middle of this, I'm sunk. I hardly know what I am talking about. This SP2 thing has me puzzled. Why would it be listed if I have not upgraded yet?
I also tried to do the August update for XP1 and things got really messed up. Got error messages and when I finally gave in and said to report error message to Microsoft, The reply said they could not help me and I had to upgrade to SP2. Did System Restore and have not repeated the Aug update. Good Grief, its too much for this old grannie Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:14 PM

Why not update to SP2? Plus there are about 60 updates beyond SP2 that are available. If your computer is on the internet then you should update.

Keep visiting the Windows Update site and downloading and installing all of the updates that are available until there are no more!

This SP2 thing has me puzzled. Why would it be listed if I have not upgraded yet?

Just a small point - but upgrading and updating are two different things. Getting SP2 plus other updates is updating. Upgrading would be getting Vista, or some newer version of XP (there is none). Updating is what we are talking about.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:08 PM

Are you on dialup or broadband?
If you are on broadband I suggest that you set your computer to download and install all Windows Critical Updates automatically.

You do not need to be afraid of any update MS feels is critical, in fact, you should be afraid to be without them.

Microsoft uses the word Critical to describe a patch for an exploit that can be used to infect your computer without any interaction from you.

To see if SP2 is installed, right click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop and choose "Properties".

It will tell you what version of Windows you have and if you have SP2 it will tell you.

If you do not have it installed, it is highly recommended that you get it immediately, providing that you know your computer is free of malware.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:03 AM

1) You need SP2 - without it, you've got holes in your system. SP2 is both a security update and an operating system performance update.
2) SP1 support will be limited - eventually MS will only support systems with SP2.
3) Backup all your valuable data
4) Make sure you have the ability to restore your system (restore partition, restore CD's, Windows XP install CD, etc)
5) The majority of SP2 problems aren't caused by SP2. It's caused by software that was written before SP2 came out. SP2 changed a lot about how software was written for XP - so this will "break" the SP2 installation.
6) The cure is to update your oldest apps and drivers to one's that can handle SP2.
7) Many of the "SP2" updates will install on an SP1 system - but some will not. The SP2 in the description is an indicator that this is also an SP2 update - so if you upgrade to SP2 you'll alread have this update.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users