Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:03 AM
1) You need SP2 - without it, you've got holes in your system. SP2 is both a security update and an operating system performance update.
2) SP1 support will be limited - eventually MS will only support systems with SP2.
3) Backup all your valuable data
4) Make sure you have the ability to restore your system (restore partition, restore CD's, Windows XP install CD, etc)
5) The majority of SP2 problems aren't caused by SP2. It's caused by software that was written before SP2 came out. SP2 changed a lot about how software was written for XP - so this will "break" the SP2 installation.
6) The cure is to update your oldest apps and drivers to one's that can handle SP2.
7) Many of the "SP2" updates will install on an SP1 system - but some will not. The SP2 in the description is an indicator that this is also an SP2 update - so if you upgrade to SP2 you'll alread have this update.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able. - John
(my website: http://www.carrona.org/
)**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack
. ** If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.
<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.