Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard 101 Help, PLEASE!!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LeRoy W. Lee

LeRoy W. Lee

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:31 PM

Hello. I received a fairly new HP 17" Pavilion f029wm from my late brother. It has Beats Audio (okay), but overall: nice. But, the problem lies within the AMD A6-6310 embedded processor. I've never paid a lot for high-end processors, but know truly horrible & slow ones! I simply want to purchase a new motherboard, add my OWN processor of choice, but am having trouble just finding a compatible one. HP is of no help, and the online purveyors I've dealt with have not been of much help either. The laptop's serial # is 5CD4363RM6, Model: J7L40UA#ABA. Are there any of you out there who build your systems who may offer-up any advice as to where to get such a "monster" I've already bought a Crucial 525GB SSD & 8GB of RAM to put-in. I'm having a local do this, but have not spoken w/ him yet about doing this. He's older, open only on occasion & hard to get up with. I'm earnestly calling on your collective knowledge to help me with this problem. 

Thanks & Best, LeRoy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:17 PM

All laptops these days are integrated BGA, FCBGA cpu types. Meaning the cpu is soldered to the motherboard. The CPU is also the GPU. That laptop is a proprietary. So nothing is interchangeableas far as the cpu and motherboard goes.

When you want a high performance gaming laptop you buy it with that spec in mind. There is a difference between a $400 laptop and a $2000 gaming laptop. You're buying a laptop with the FCBGA intel I7 soldered to the main board already. Some gaming laptops have a replaceable GPU slot so that you can upgrade the graphics card. 

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

Specs

My opinion has always been that laptops are not made to be upgraded...they are made to be replaced by next week's models.  the entire process of providing a mobile, lightweight computer system...pretty much demands this type of construction and approach, IMO.

When many speak of "upgrading" a laptop...all that they really are referencing is installing a SSD in lieu of hard drive and increasing the amount of RAM installed.  That's hardly an "upgrade" but it's what is feasible with laptops.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 September 2016 - 07:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users