Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scandisk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 becky1963

becky1963

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 03:32 PM

My scandisk will not work. I try to use it and it just sets there. Im trying to see if i can get some spaceon my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:03 PM

:thumbsup: Hiya,

You didn't say which system you were running , if it's not Xp, I would suggest that you run scandisk in safe mode similarly with disk defragmentation. it always works better that way in systems other than XP.

Regards,

Tony. :flowers:
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 becky1963

becky1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

Im running windows xp home edition

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:24 PM

Windows needs 15% or more free space for the maintenance functions to work.

Scandisk is now called chkdsk and will not work until you select it and then reboot, but if what you are interested in is reclaiming space you do not need that utility to do it.

What you need to do is click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop, right click on the drive (probably C:), choose "Properties", and then press the "Disk Cleanup" button.

It will then take a while to scan and show you a few choices to reclaim space. You can clean anything that says "Temp" and the other options depend on what you want to do.

#5 becky1963

becky1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:33 PM

I tried the disk cleanup and it set there and set there. And didnt do nothing

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:39 PM

It may take quite a while (possibly an hour or even longer) depending on the size of your hard drive, especially if the drive is fairly full.

As long as the computer hasn't frozen (you can still move the cursor), let it keep working.

Do not do anything else on the computer while it's scanning.

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 August 2006 - 07:40 PM.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:35 PM

If you computer's hard drive is very full, and you are using the Windows Disk Cleanup utility,check only one box at a time, and do this in safe mode.
You may first want to go review all the applications you have installed on your computer and delete any you do not use. You Control Panel's "add/remove programs" is one way to do this.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users