Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost WiFi Connection - Nothing Works

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:17 PM

My Grandma's Windows 7 computer lost it's wi-fi connection a few weeks after my cousin messed up the computer. He turned on the computer, got an error message, then decided to restart the computer with the power button. It's unclear how many times he hit that button. In the event viewer, there were numerous error messages related to that.

Since then, the internet has not worked correctly. First, it kept losing it's connection every few minutes or so. But then, at some point, it stopped connecting at all. The other computers and devices don't have problems.

In the control panel, it indicates that the wireless network connection adapter is not connected. No one has changed anything.

I have seen the following errors in the event viewer:

TCPIP - Event 4205 - Autoconfigured route limit has been reached. No further autoconfigured routes will be added until the interface is reconnected.

Browser - Event 8033 - The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_TCPip_(insert name here) because a master browser was stopped.

iastor - Event 9 - The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

DNS Client Events - Event 1014 - Name resolution for the (insert name here) timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

I cannot figure out this problem. I have tried several things, but nothing works. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

Have you tried clicking right clicking on your wireless adapter and clicking "Connect/Disconnect" and then choosing your wireless network? If so, does it connect?

Also, is this a laptop or a desktop with wireless adapter?

#3 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:06 PM

Yes, I have tried that. It's a desktop computer.

I opened the case to try to reinsert the card, but I guess it has something newer that I'm not familiar with. I didn't see anything that was removeable like the old cards that had the antenna on them. The computer is an HP from late 2010, if that helps anything. I believe the adapter is Realtek.

#4 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:07 PM

Sounds like the "wireless network connection adapter" has failed. If it's a separate card, try removing it and reseatting it a few times in an attempt to clean the contacts. If it's built-in to the motherboard, you might need to get a USB-to-Ethernet adapter ... they're fairly cheap, $10 or so.

#5 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:18 PM

Since I didn't see anything obvious when I opened the computer, I'll just assume it's built into the motherboard.

If the adapter failed, could it have been caused by the computer being shutdown improperly? Or is that just a coincidence? Maybe that's the error that came on the screen that caused my cousin to shut it down improperly? It would be nice to know what happened. I hate not knowing.

#6 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

Ehh! If I get that USB to Ethernet adapter, does that mean it has to be hard wired to the router? The router is in a room down the hall connected to another computer. What are my options?

#7 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:22 PM

USB WiFi adapters start at $5 or so.

#8 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:18 PM

have you tried Un-installing the driver and reinstalling it?

and have you tried this?:

Open command prompt as admin and type in

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

that should fix any connection issues.

if not:
sfc /scannow

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#9 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:23 PM

I tried ipconfig /flushdns and sfc /scannow before I started this thread and they didn't work. Should I still try them with the other two commands? I'll have to wait until next week though. I also tried netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt.

I'll probably just order the usb wireless adapter thing. They're around $15-$30 on Amazon. I'm not sure I should get the little tiny ones that are smaller than a standard flash drive. It seems like they'd overheat and wouldn't have a good signal either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users