Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about Optical Budget Calculations and Actual SFP/SFP+ Maximum Ranges

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 KrisGT

KrisGT

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

All the following questions are assuming the link has no extra connections and/or splices. Just a single cable between two optics.

So I am self taught on this topic. I was hired by my company and had to learn fast. One thing bugs me about my estimates on determining how far an optic can reach. I feel like I am missing an important variable somewhere.

So far I have been taking the Minimum Tx Power then subtracting the Rx Sensitivity and 0.75db for the connector.

So for a SFP-10G-ZR it would be: 0dbm - 24dbm = 24db - 0.75db = 23.25db

Then I subtract 3db for a safety margin = 20.25

After this I divide my new total by the loss per km. At 1550nm Cisco puts this at 0.25db/km

20.25db / 0.25db = 81km

Now this math adds up for the part above but it does not work for 1000BASE-LX/LH and 1000BASE-EX. Why can the EX reach up to 40km while the LX/LH only goes 10km?

These have the same wavelength of 1310nm, TX power and RX sensitivity. So what am I missing?

As far as attenuators are concerned, are they required for LX/LR optics? If you have a link going 500m will you damage the RX side??

I know for 40km optics and up you have to have one for shorter distances to not cause damage.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users