Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Workstations are disconnected from server after 10 hours

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AndyGroom

AndyGroom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:32 AM

We recently had some electrical work done and the domain server went off unintentionally rather than being switched off. Since then, the workstations can only connect to the server for 10 hours before having to log out of Windows and back in again, they just suddenly lose their connection to the server.

Has something got corrupted, or is there something which expires after 10 hours (like a security token or something), if so what can I look for to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:42 PM

Sounds like a NTLM authentication being exhausted or kerberos, can you remove and rejoin one machine to the domain and see if that works after 10 hours mate?

Also is this the main domain controller holding all the FSMO roles that was powdered down? Depending on how long it was off, the machine passwords could have been updated right at the time the server was off. Highly unlikely but i have seen stranger things.

#3 AndyGroom

AndyGroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:09 AM

If we reboot the workstations at lunchtime they will keep their connection into the evening but if not they disconnect at around 6pm (from being switched on at about 8am). At the moment the only solution is to remind everyone to reboot at lunchtime.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:43 PM

Have you checked the event viewer mate on all the machines? You can do this remotely as well so you dont have to be logged on to their computer.

I would be looking their first before doing any more guess work mate.

Run the command below (Computername being the remote PC)

Another thing you could test is just restart the Kerberos Key Distribution Center service on the Global Catalog server, see if they hold the connection then.

Also you could use netdom to reset the machine password !

eventvwr Computername

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 15 September 2016 - 05:45 PM.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:42 AM

Was the DC that rebooted also the DHCP server? If so, you might want to check the leases that are being issued to clients, in terms of how long the lease is good for and whether they are being renewed or not.

#6 Yayfornuke

Yayfornuke

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:23 AM

Highjacking this old thread:

I do have the same problem, but somehow only on my 3 newest Machines. Although I can't provide anything new to the thread I hope someone found a solution for this.

The machines have a Static Ip and our DHCP renews the lease after 12 hours not 10.

Our other machines work fine.

#7 Yayfornuke

Yayfornuke

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:38 AM

I talked to my a friend of mine, and tryed running the cmd as the admin and used the command: net config server /autodisconnect:-1

I am goingt to report back if that worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users