Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bought a computer at city auction

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 optionsnyc

optionsnyc

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:32 PM

I bought a desktop computer at city auction for $19. It was labeled " unknown brand desktop computer"

There was no hard drive or power cord. I bought a  Western Digital (WD) Caviar Blue 320 GB (320gb) SATA II 7200 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive for PC and the power cord and I installed Windows 7. That all went smoothly. 

It does not have a hard drive holder, I think it is called a "caddy"? I ordered one but the hard drive does not fit in it. The one I bought is a 2.5" to 3.5"  Inateck Hard Drive Mounting Kit, what kind do I need to buy to have it fit and fit the computer? This one didn't seem to fit flush within the computer. 

It has 4 DVD-RW drives and all are in working order.

It has 1GB of Ram. I need to upgrade this. When I pull the RAM out it says 1GIG DDR400. Can I put a 4GB stick in there? Could I do more? Would I just do a 4GB DDR 400 stick? The memory stuff confuses me. 

As far as the brand goes all I can find out is Manufactuer is HP and it has a AMD Athlon 64 processor 2800+ 1.8 Ghz. Pretty weak I know but it just needs to be able to surf the web , watch a movie at most.

I would like to get this computer up and running for my brother. Was also just a little project for myself to get better with fixing comps. 

attached are some pics I took 

I would appreciate some feed back. Thanks.

Western Digital (WD) Caviar Blue 320 GB (320gb) SATA II 7200 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive for PC

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:19 AM

HP - and Dell for that matter - could be quite imaginative when it came to fitting hard drives into computer cabinets.

Looking at your image 7 and taking the orientation as the image is presented, vertically at the extreme lower right there appears to be a metal box which looks like a drive might locate in that. Alternatively, the actual mounting bracket could be missing - somebody took it out along with the drive. Here I am looking at that about half inch high flange running along the bottom right hand side of the image.

You could always just bodge up some type of holder. Something like wrap the drive in some thin foam rubber and then use cable ties to hold it in position wherever there happens to be space. What is important at the end of the day is that it cannot move around and short anything else out, this also protects it from vibration. You could even attach it to the side casing you have removed to take these images., there is enouug reach on the cables.

Just on a side note. The COU fan and heatsink look as though they could benefit from a clean. Just remember if you split the heatsink of the CPU to clean the maating surfaces of old heatsink compound and apply a thin smear of new compound to one of the faces before reassembly.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 optionsnyc

optionsnyc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:31 PM

HP - and Dell for that matter - could be quite imaginative when it came to fitting hard drives into computer cabinets.

Looking at your image 7 and taking the orientation as the image is presented, vertically at the extreme lower right there appears to be a metal box which looks like a drive might locate in that. Alternatively, the actual mounting bracket could be missing - somebody took it out along with the drive. Here I am looking at that about half inch high flange running along the bottom right hand side of the image.

You could always just bodge up some type of holder. Something like wrap the drive in some thin foam rubber and then use cable ties to hold it in position wherever there happens to be space. What is important at the end of the day is that it cannot move around and short anything else out, this also protects it from vibration. You could even attach it to the side casing you have removed to take these images., there is enouug reach on the cables.

Just on a side note. The COU fan and heatsink look as though they could benefit from a clean. Just remember if you split the heatsink of the CPU to clean the maating surfaces of old heatsink compound and apply a thin smear of new compound to one of the faces before reassembly.

Chris Cosgrove

thanks for the reply. What should I do as far as adding some RAM goes? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,014 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:06 PM

Do you have a make and model for the motherboard? I see HP in one of the screenshots. I would hazard a guess there would be a maximum RAM size per slot for that older motherboard.

You should be able to get a motherboard model from CPUz.

http://www.cpuid.com/

#5 optionsnyc

optionsnyc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:53 PM

Do you have a make and model for the motherboard? I see HP in one of the screenshots. I would hazard a guess there would be a maximum RAM size per slot for that older motherboard.

You should be able to get a motherboard model from CPUz.

http://www.cpuid.com/

used that link, it gave me this motherboard info in the attached pic.

Also I am having a hard time connecting to the internet. This is the error I am getting also in the attached pic. I tried installing some drivers on my flash drive and nothing is working. What am I doing wrong? Do I get the drivers from HP site? Intel? 

Attached File  20160920_193859.jpg   80.61KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20160920_194515.jpg   125.14KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20160920_195115.jpg   105.56KB   0 downloads

#6 optionsnyc

optionsnyc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:56 PM

found info that says my ethernet controller name is NTPNP_PCI0009

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,014 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:35 AM

Sorry, I lost track of this thread.

Unfortunately CPUz does not list the motherboard manufacturer, only the chipset. Is there anything on the motherboard to indicate a maker and or model number?

I think your Ethernet may be part of the chipset drivers unfortunately on the SIS support site there are no chipset drivers for Windows 7. 

NTPNP_PCI0009  Right click the Ethernet driver and select Properties. Under the details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post if it is different then NTPNP_PCI0009

Looking at the image I saw ECS. I think this is your motherboard. There are no Windows 7 drivers as the board is quite old. 

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=420&MenuID=22&LanID=0  This is version 1a there is alos a V1.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?CategoryID=1&DetailID=381&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=24&LanID=0

Specifications indicate a Realtek PHY chipset which is a LAN chipset that requires the appropriate chipset drivers for the SIS 755/964 chipset.

If you want LAN then you will need to purchase a USB to Ethernet Adapter. Because the motherboard is USB 2 then then you will need the 10/100 adapter which is fairly cheap. The motherboard has a 2GB max memory. 1GB in each slot.

For the audio try this driver.

Vista/Win7 (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)

6305 2009/9/7 30396

What I don't understand is how Windows thinks this custom computer is HP as it obviously has a custom case and a non HP motherboard. I don't know of any HP motherboard that was ECS labeled.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 September 2016 - 12:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users