Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring HP w/ windows 10 back to factory is taking a long time

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Amyolm111

Amyolm111

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:07 PM

I started the reset about 3 hours ago and my laptop keeps restarting then going back to the Software installation screen. About 25 minutes ago it did load to the desktop and a little window said something about loading plugins. Then it restarted and went right back to software screen. Is it normal to take this long?

The reason I am resetting is because earlier today my computer spontaneously shut down and when I turned it back on it wouldn't detect my wifi network or any nearby networks for that matter.

Edited by Amyolm111, 13 September 2016 - 10:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Amyolm111

Amyolm111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:06 PM

It's finally done but it didn't fix my wifi problem

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:26 AM

Did you run the HP diagnostics before you reset it?

If not, I'd strongly suggest running them now. (press F2 as the the system starts up).

Can you connect to networks using a wire?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 thedarkness

thedarkness

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

I think the only shut downs without warning I have had have been due to either high temperature, or old batteries needing replaced.

You may know this but in regards to wifi, depending on system model there is often a button on your laptop you can press to start or stop it, to show or hide all wifi networks. On my MSI system it is to the right of the power button with a satellite/antenna symbol, but every system will be different.

The button may be located anywhere near the keyboard. Some systems have it below the keyboard or less commonly, to the side near usb ports, on the keyboard's number pad, or even on the back. As an alternative the computer or laptop may also have a shortcut to start wifi such as holding down Fn and an F key together (often Fn and F2).

#5 Amyolm111

Amyolm111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:04 AM

Did you run the HP diagnostics before you reset it?
If not, I'd strongly suggest running them now. (press F2 as the the system starts up).

Can you connect to networks using a wire?

No I didn't try running a diagnostic but it appears my laptop isn't even reading my wireless card. I can connect to the internet through an ethernet cable.

Is it possible for maleware or a virus to diable a wireless card? I ask because I downloaded a game the night before this happened.

#6 Amyolm111

Amyolm111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

I think the only shut downs without warning I have had have been due to either high temperature, or old batteries needing replaced.
You may know this but in regards to wifi, depending on system model there is often a button on your laptop you can press to start or stop it, to show or hide all wifi networks. On my MSI system it is to the right of the power button with a satellite/antenna symbol, but every system will be different.
The button may be located anywhere near the keyboard. Some systems have it below the keyboard or less commonly, to the side near usb ports, on the keyboard's number pad, or even on the back. As an alternative the computer or laptop may also have a shortcut to start wifi such as holding down Fn and an F key together (often Fn and F2).

Thanks for the reply. I believe the only button to turn my wireless on and off is the wifi symbol in the network settings box. That symbol has disappeared on my computer. I think it's not reading that I have a wireless card.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your wifi adapter in Device Manager? What is the model number of the HP?

#8 Amyolm111

Amyolm111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your wifi adapter in Device Manager? What is the model number of the HP?

My wifi adapter isn't even listed in the device manager. The model # is 15-af120nr

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:25 PM

If your wifi is not listed in Device Manager then it's possible the device has failed. Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager under other devices? If this computer is under Warranty I would contact HP and request an RMA. 3 hours for a reset seems excessive. If you tap Esc at boot HP offers a diagnostic routine. 

#10 Amyolm111

Amyolm111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:35 PM

If your wifi is not listed in Device Manager then it's possible the device has failed. Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager under other devices? If this computer is under Warranty I would contact HP and request an RMA. 3 hours for a reset seems excessive. If you tap Esc at boot HP offers a
diagnostic routine.

No, there aren't any yellow exclamation points by anything in the device manager. The laptop is under warranty but it's a rent to own so I'll probably call them and they can figure it out. They've done it before in the past. Plus, they will probably give me a different laptop to use in the meantime.

Thanks for your help!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

Good Luck. If you have the time please post an update on how it went.

#12 Amyolm111

Amyolm111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

Good Luck. If you have the time please post an update on how it went.

Wow I can't believe I actually got it working! I did some more research and read the issue could be fixed by updating the BIOS. So I went to the HP site and they had one BIOS update. I installed it and now my wireless works! Thanks again for your suggestions and help. :)

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:10 PM

Nice Troubleshooting. Glad you sorted it out. Thanks for posting the solution.

#14 Amyolm111

Amyolm111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:25 PM

Nice Troubleshooting. Glad you sorted it out. Thanks for posting the solution.

Thanks and no problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users