Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking After A Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 monclandestinamour

monclandestinamour

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 03:07 PM

Hey

I have a Laptop Inspiron 6000 and am very conscious to get the most out of it as i can. I heard that using the laptop on a non-hard surface can affect the life of it cos of the overheating etc.

Has anyone got any tips on what I can do to maintain and prolong its life. I dont want to say goodbye just yet. I have had the laptop since DEC 2005 (i.e. nearly 8 months)!

If anyone has any tips specific to the Inspiron 6000 then that will be most appreciated as well.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:21 PM

Heat is the enemy of healthy electronics. Placing the computer on a bedspread, for example, would block the air intake on the bottom of the computer. This would not be a good thing. That might be what you were alluding to.

It is also a good idea to blow off the fans and the fins inside the air intakes to remove dust and animal hair etc that may be hampering the effeciency of the cooling system.

On your computer the air intakes are found on the left side, the rear, and the bottom.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 monclandestinamour

monclandestinamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:50 PM

Yeah thats what I had heard but sometimes it's so much easier to have the laptop on ur bed. What about if I put e.g. a hard back book below the laptop whilst keeping the fans free from blockage

#4 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

There are things that are made for laptops, its a thin piece of plastic, with 2-3 fans and plugs into a usb port. The laptop sits right on it, and it cools the bottom, so its good to use on a bed or something. Im not sure what its called, so ill do a little homework. :thumbsup:

-Nick

#5 monclandestinamour

monclandestinamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:24 PM

hey yeh i saw one of those in pc world (UK) but it cost about 20 so wasn't sure whether it was worth buying or not

#6 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:30 PM

If you are using it mainly on your bed or someplace similar where it can get hot, and you plan on keeping the laptop for a long time, then id say go for it.

-Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users