Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KB3189866

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:23 PM

:flame:  Build 1607 in Windows 10 update is S L O W.  Why they did such a huge update, and so many all at once, I'll never know.  I forgot about update Tuesday.  Then I see it is vital you get the updates asap.  I looked and I was only downloaded at 49%.  I thought it was stuck, as it didn't go anywhere in a majorly long time.  So I restarted.  Some updates were ready to install.  I noticed it was downloading KB3189866.  It is at 45%, and has been for a very long time.  I am concerned now.  I hope this is not going to be a sign of the times to come.  I am afraid to restart after this bad boy finally downloads...if it ever does.  My modem isn't even blinking to show there is anything going on.  This is the slowest update I've ever seen.    Anyone else seeing this?  If this messes up my computer, I am going to be VERY UNHAPPY.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:44 PM

Well, I've had KB3189866 download (the cumulative update for 1607, and it does take a while) and install, followed shortly thereafter by KB3188218 for Adobe Flash Player on Windows 10 and there have been no problems.  Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Build 14393.187 after those two updates.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:51 PM

:flame:  Build 1607 in Windows 10 update is S L O W.  Why they did such a huge update, and so many all at once, I'll never know.  I forgot about update Tuesday.  Then I see it is vital you get the updates asap.  I looked and I was only downloaded at 49%.  I thought it was stuck, as it didn't go anywhere in a majorly long time.  So I restarted.  Some updates were ready to install.  I noticed it was downloading KB3189866.  It is at 45%, and has been for a very long time.  I am concerned now.  I hope this is not going to be a sign of the times to come.  I am afraid to restart after this bad boy finally downloads...if it ever does.  My modem isn't even blinking to show there is anything going on.  This is the slowest update I've ever seen.    Anyone else seeing this?  If this messes up my computer, I am going to be VERY UNHAPPY.

Yep same problem here with my pc only 3 updates have downloaded.  and ther other download is still stuck at 45% and holding.

#4 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:07 PM

rp-57, that is exactly what mine has done.  I was going to download it manually from the catalog, but it won't let you do it from Firefox, or Edge.  It wants you to use IE, and then you have to install some file to do it.  I dunno, but I'm perturbed to say the least.  I'm still at 45% and it hasn't budged one bit.

#5 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:21 PM

Britechguy, I am still at 45%.  You are lucky I guess.  I have been waiting on this for hours, and still only at 45%.  I just cleared cookies and shut down.  I started back up.  Still at 45%, and it is NOT moving.  This is a critical update too.  I'm not even getting flashing lights on my modem saying anything is transferring either. 

Edited by kelkay, 13 September 2016 - 10:22 PM.

#6 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:32 PM

I finally got it working by manually updating it.  You have to go to the catalog, and use IE, no other browser works. 

#7 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:48 AM

I (we) tested a number of different machines, does not have absolutely no problems.

#8 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:58 AM

rp-57, that is exactly what mine has done.  I was going to download it manually from the catalog, but it won't let you do it from Firefox, or Edge.  It wants you to use IE, and then you have to install some file to do it.  I dunno, but I'm perturbed to say the least.  I'm still at 45% and it hasn't budged one bit.

Me to I just checked the down load and still at 45% what do we do?  I have gotten like 5 down loads so far and is like 14 total that we are to get but mine is stuck on 45%. 

#9 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:55 AM

rp-57 I went to the Windows Update Catalog.  I had to do this with IE.  I am happy for those that had no issues with this update.  I know I'm not the only one.  Supposedly with Win10 you don't have to worry about this stuff anymore.  Well this just proved that is not the case.  They need a place to get these updates, and they need to be easily found.  You shouldn't have to jump through hoops especially to get a critical update

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:05 AM

This is yet another area where system health telemetry will come into play.   I fail to believe that information does not get sent if a Windows Update gets "stuck."

Since the update process is automatic Microsoft is going to have to issue a fix of some sort if this is occurring for more than a very, very few idiosyncratic cases.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#11 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:23 AM

I wasn't trying to say that Microsoft isn't aware of this, I am sure they are now.  You can see it transferring the download at first, and then it stops.  Since Microsoft knows everything these days about what goes on with your computer, and everything you do on it with Win10, they have to be aware of this.  The sad thing is, had I not checked to make sure all downloads were done, and just assumed the automatic update was handling this, I would still be at 45%.  If I wasn't doing anything via the browser, you could watch the activity light on the modem.  If it was downloading, you would see some kind of activity, and after hours, you should see an uptick in at least one percentage point in the download.  When I manually downloaded it, the update went much faster than expected.  I wanted to know the downloads were complete, because I wanted to go ahead and restart my computer asap.  I didn't want to be in the middle of something, and then have to restart then.  I did change my activity hours, so it wouldn't disturb me in the evenings.  My av program is what let me know about the updates.  That is the only reason I looked, and then saw it was not moving. 

#12 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:45 PM

rp-57 did you get the update okay yet?  I noticed a big thread on it today at tenforums.

#13 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:52 PM

rp-57 did you get the update okay yet?  I noticed a big thread on it today at tenforums.

I got like about 5 updates one was silver light and the other was adobe flash and several more.

what about you.

#14 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:20 PM

I got 4 total.  The only one hung up on me was KB3189866, the rest of them went fine.  I read 14 updates came out.  I guess some were grouped into the one that gave me issues.  I checked it again a while ago, and it said I am updated, so no more have come up.

#15 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:25 PM

OK y

I got 4 total.  The only one hung up on me was KB3189866, the rest of them went fine.  I read 14 updates came out.  I guess some were grouped into the one that gave me issues.  I checked it again a while ago, and it said I am updated, so no more have come up.

Yes me to, that KB3189866 hung up on me and has not installed yet said it failed, but I just checked the updates again see what is doing and is trying to again download something.  guess will see how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users