Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot create bootable usb using same steps as before

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stevkaprel

stevkaprel

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:43 PM

I can't understand what's gong on.  In the past, I have on several occasions successfully created a bootable usb with the use of img burn (to create an image file) and rufus (creating usb with image so created).  I did that just a few months ago to install windows 7 on a device without a cd drive.  All of a sudden, the same procedure doesn't work any more. After seemingly creating a bootable usb, after making sure bios is set to boot from usb, I am rewarded a message that no operating system if available or other words to the effect.  What has changed or what could I be doing wrong? 

I have tried different versions of rufus and tried Windows USB/DVD Download Tool
instead of rufus.    I have tried the resulting usb on a desktop and the target windows tablet and got the same outcome.  I have tried different usb ports.  (My comuter uses usb 2.0.)  No change.  Help!.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:55 PM

Are you sure the computer you are trying to boot is set to try and boot from your USB flash drive first, (before the hard drive or CD/DVD-ROM, or whatever else)?

#3 stevkaprel

stevkaprel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:17 PM

I thought I did, but something new is always popping up.  You can change boot order in 

BIOS Set Up, and find you have to do it in the Boot Order Selection page.  Or you can change it in the 

Boot Order Selection Page and find out you have to do it in the Set Up page.  In this case, you had to use both on the 

same go round.  I don't understand why that boot selection has to be so uncooperative.  I won't even go into the

secret to success on the tablet where the os was being installed.  Suffice to say:  Problem solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users