Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UGH please help fix my stupid laptop!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kbird2815

kbird2815

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:42 PM

Okay, this may be really long but I want to make sure I get as much info as I can into the post. 

I have a HP Pavillion TouchSmart laptop that I bought from a friend.  When I first purchased it a cleaned it out (IE I reset it to factory settings) After I did that I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran a full scan (I found nothing)  The pc worked well initially and all was well.  Lately however I am having a ton of issues. 

Issue 1: Every time I try and log into internet explorer I get a notice saying Internet Explorer cannot display the web page with a button that says Launch HP Network Check.

Issue 2: When I am able to get online, once I try and go to a page (FB, Google, Yahoo etc) It takes me to  page that says there is an issue with the sites security certificate.  It does however give me the option to continue to the page though it warns its not recommended. When I do click that option it's hit or miss whether it actually takes me to the site.

Issue 3: Today, for example, I couldn't access the internet at all.  I rebooted the computer multiple times and it finally let me access the internet though when I tried to go anywhere (Including trying to download things such as cccleaner) it boots me back to the page mentioned above regarding the security certificate, then to the page saying it cant display the web page.

Issue 4: Finally, when I do get onto the internet, once I log onto a page (fb in particular) it displays wrong (its in list view instead of actually loading as my page)

As a side note, I'm not sure if they changed the way you access safe mode on the newer pc's but I can't get it to boot in Safe Mode (F8)

If anyone out there can help I would be forever grateful.  I really like the laptop but at this point the urge to throw it out the window is strong.  Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,102 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:13 AM

What was the original OS and which Windows OS are you using now?

Have you allowed the computer to update the OS?

You said you reset to factory settings....just to be clear....did that entail reformatting the drive and using the HP backup for the original software in the Recovery partition on the original hdd?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 kbird2815

kbird2815
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:57 PM

What was the original OS and which Windows OS are you using now?

Have you allowed the computer to update the OS?

You said you reset to factory settings....just to be clear....did that entail reformatting the drive and using the HP backup for the original software in the Recovery partition on the original hdd?

I just did a factory reset to clean out whatever was on the computer, didn't do anything with any software that I know of.  It says its a 64-bit operating system x64 based processor (If I'm looking at the right info lol)

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,102 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:23 PM

I was asking what Windows Operating system you are using....Windows XP...Windows Vista...Windows 7...Windows 8 or 8.1....Windows 10

I was asking if you updated the Windows OS after you did the factory reset. After doing a factory reset there should be a ton of updates required.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 kbird2815

kbird2815
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:09 PM

I was asking what Windows Operating system you are using....Windows XP...Windows Vista...Windows 7...Windows 8 or 8.1....Windows 10

I was asking if you updated the Windows OS after you did the factory reset. After doing a factory reset there should be a ton of updates required.

Its Windows 8.1 and when I reset it, it did run a ton of updates to be honest I didn't watch the update because I started them prior to going to work.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,102 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:04 AM

First...if IE is the only browser installed, install the 64 bit version of Firefox.  This is the direct download Download  for that.

Second...

Reinstall Internet Explorer
Reinstall Internet Explorer in Windows 8.1 and Windows 8
Because Internet Explorer is now a Windows feature in Windows 8.1 and Windows 8, you can't uninstall it. However, you can turn it off. To do this, follow the steps in the "Turn off Internet Explorer" section in Install or uninstall Internet Explorer.

After you turn off Internet Explorer and then restart your computer, Internet Explorer will be removed from your computer.

You can also turn the Internet Explorer Windows feature back on to reinstall it on your computer.

Additionally, you can use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files to validate the corresponding system files before you reinstall Internet Explorer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users