Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover deleted files from a flash drive.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maxharmony

maxharmony

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:40 PM

I have an ASUS Desktop PC, K30AD_M31AD_M51AD_M32, AD Series with Windows 10 installed, version 1511, using
Firefox 48.0.2 as my browser. 

I keep most of my files on a flash drive because I've lost files twice, once due to lightening and once due to a fluke hard drive failure.  Today, brilliant person that I am, I deleted a bunch of files from my flash drive accidentally by clicking delete on the wrong folder.  I quickly hit cancel, but not quickly enough and lost a lot of files (maybe 25-30).  Is there anyway I can get these back? 

I'm at kenreg22@gmail.com.  Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. 

Regina

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedarkness

thedarkness

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:44 PM

There are many recovery tools out there. One of the simplest to use is probably Recuva if you click here. You just have to point it to your connected flash drive, and scan it for lost files. The paid version may come with either more scanning options or technical support. Recovered files may not show up with their original names intact, but I have found it useful in the past to recover deleted photos. I believe it should also work with flash drives. Just remember not to save anything to your flash drive until all possible files are recovered

Edited by thedarkness, 13 September 2016 - 05:45 PM.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:22 PM

Even there were problems in the past, please consider the following

Work on your files on the computer.

At the end of the day copy/past your documents folder onto a folder on the flash drive

I do that using a batch file but the copy/paste procedure works just as easily

There are times I will work on the flash drive but then I'll copy/paste my data onto the hard drive

It's unlikely there will be major issues on both locations at the same time.

In my case I also have a stand alone "retired" XP computer to store my data.

So that gives me 3 locations for my data.

Also consider a system image backup onto an external hard drive that includes file history.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:40 PM

Recuva from Piriform may be able to help you, as long as you haven't written new information to the disk space.

#5 maxharmony

maxharmony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

Thank you for the help.  I'm taking the advice, I have already downloaded Recuva and I'm waiting for a second flash drive to arrive on Friday.  I think I can recover most of the data.  Will let you know.  Thanks. 

Regina

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

You can recover your files to the internal hard drive without affecting the flash drive. You don't need another flash drive for recovery. Recuva will read the drive and let you recover to any other device. Just make sure you do not recover back to the flash drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users