Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will my PC power a 49" 4k monitor???

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jmcnizzle

jmcnizzle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:11 PM

Hi, so i have no clue about monitors at all. The 4k monitor will be used for playing poker on multiple sites and some in a VM. Besides that it will be used for metatrader 4 to trade forex. Here's my specs if someone could tell me if its good for a 49" 4k monitor :D

Processor:          Intel i5-6400 CPU @2.70GHz skylake

Memory:             24 GB ram

Motherboard:     asus h170-plus d3

HD 1:                 crucial bx200 240GB Sata

HD 2:                 seagate hybrid 2tb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

In order to answer your question we'll need to know what GPU you have. If you don't know what GPU (video card) you have, do this:

• Download the free version of Speccy from piriform (there is also a "portable" version if you do not want to actually install anything.)
  • Run Speccy.exe if you use a 32-bit (x86) OS or run the 64-bit version of you run a 64 bit OS.
  • Let Speccy do its thing, it may take a while
  • When Speccy finishes click the File Menu and select Publish Snapshot
  • Click Copy to Clipboard
  • Paste the link you copied in your next reply. It should look like this: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tsQ2oSFGAwvqpWwZgknxESl

#3 jmcnizzle

jmcnizzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:03 PM

It never said finished but looks like loads of info

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/rtu7ltajU67YXIjYgJE1U2b

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:33 AM

Your GPU, the Intel HD Graphics 530, will not display an image at 4K resolution. It's very underpowered compared with GPU's that can. You will need to purchase a a GPU that is 4K capable. With that said, 4K is relatively new, so there are bound to be problems. The Windows OS is not designed with such a high resolution in mind, so certain GUI elements (like the icons or the Start Bar) may be blurry or too tiny.

#5 jmcnizzle

jmcnizzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:09 AM

I could just buy a graphics card so. I have another question, if i buy a 4k 48inch TV will it do the job or do they suck?

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:16 AM

I could just buy a graphics card so. I have another question, if i buy a 4k 48inch TV will it do the job or do they suck?

It's a 4K TV, which will display in 4K resolution just like a computer monitor. It may be a good or bad depending on the brand and model, just like a computer monitor.

Keep in mind though, that there is not a lot of 4K content yet. Just like when 1080p came out the only thing available was BluRay discs and they cost 20 - 50 bucks each at the time. They were an expensive toy with very little content compared with the previous generation of technology. It is the same with 4K.

In the future there will be a lot of 4K content. Currently, there is not. When there is, it is quite expensive. In my opinion I would not delve in to 4K televisions just yet. If OLED screens are truly on the horizon, then TV technology is about to make a giant leap forward.

#7 jmcnizzle

jmcnizzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

Hmmm, im not sure what to do so. I can buy a Hisense 49 inch 4K TV for €445 and the monitor im looking at is WASABI MANGO New 48" ZEN U480 Real 4K2K 60Hz UHD TV 3840 x 2160 HDMI TV Monitor

for €567 from south korea. €600 is my threshold for a monitor. Any suggestions?

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

Your GPU, the Intel HD Graphics 530, will not display an image at 4K resolution. It's very underpowered compared with GPU's that can.

Not quite right.  It will support 4K at 60 Hz through DisplayPort or at 24 Hz through HDMI 1.4.  See graphics specifications - http://ark.intel.com/products/88185/Intel-Core-i5-6400-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

You're not going to be able to play a 3D game @ 4K resolution with the chipset (that would need a MUCH more powerful GPU), but to display a desktop, even watch 4K films etc. it should be fine.

Agree with the comments about scaling problems, Windows 10 itself scales fine mostly, but not all programs do.  It might not be such a problem on very big 4K screens, but on normal size monitors, some programs will have elements that don't scale properly and will look tiny...

Edited by jonuk76, 15 September 2016 - 02:58 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 jmcnizzle

jmcnizzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:09 PM

Gonna buy it and ill update the story with it when i get it.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:54 PM

And keep in mind that even if you can display 4K content, how good things look will depend on the size of the screen AND how close you sit to it. If you use a 49" 4K monitor/TV as computer monitor (i.e. sit a foot/.3 meter in front of it), then the picture will seem more fuzzy/pixelated then if you use that same monitor/TV as a TV and sit more like 6 feet (aka about 2 meters) or more from it.

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2016 - 10:02 AM.

#11 jmcnizzle

jmcnizzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:02 PM

Well i got it but it was damaged and had to send it back :(

4k content i have no care for, this monitor is just to have more real estate on screen for non-gaming purposes. I will watch some movies too.

the monitor doesn't have a display port and only HDMI 2.0, do i need a GPU that has HDMI 2.0 ports??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users