Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thread Ownership

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:58 PM

I have noticed a trend with some forums on this board, where new threads seem to get less views and replies from other users after the thread has reached a certain reply count.

For example: User 1 posts a thread that they can't get online.

User 2 and 3 reply with suggestions.

User 1 replies to user 3's suggestions and then several posts between user 3 and 1 as they troubleshoot.

User 2 doesn't feel compelled to assist and no other users give outside perspective.

If User 3 is unable to solve problem, then thread seem to die.

In some situations this troubleshooting style makes sense. The malware removal forums are a good example. When a single reply may request running several scanners and removal programs, it makes sense for there only to be 1 line of troubleshooting. User 2 takes ownership of the thread. User 3 in the example above would only distract User 1 in a malware removal situation. Where it can be difficult is with threads based on problems that possibly have a easy solution. IMO these kinds of threads require a "hive mind" approach, where the more eyes on the problem the better.

I welcome everyone's thoughts and opinions on the matter. As a new user, I am trying to get a feel of how things are done here. Is it acceptable to correct or contradict someone if you think the thread is on a wrong path? What responsibility do I take on when replying to a thread? How does that change if you subscribe vs not subscribing. I specifically welcome any moderators' take on it.

Thanks for your time!  :bunny2:

Edited by hamluis, 13 September 2016 - 03:47 PM.
Moved from Gen Chat to Announcments, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:46 PM

I can't speak for everyone but I can give you frame of reference regarding topics.

I don't even pay attention to the number of views on any topic...what I look at are the responses to a given topic.  If a topic has no responses...and I feel that I have something to say that may help...I say it.  I feel no compulsion to return to such topic, unless I've requested data that I can understand and use to try to determine if there is a problem and what such may be.  Generally, I prefer that someone else...attempt to assist on every topic...and I defer to the membership at large when it comes to responding to a given situation, whether fully explained in detail or terribly explained.

Yes, I know I have a lot of posts but I've been here a lot of years...and I've never shied away from asking questions...or requesting more data...or saying "Happy computing :)."  My job (as I see it) is to be a facilitator, not to be The Answer Man.  I'm not qualified to be The Answer Man, nor do I aspire to such...my ego does not need that.  I just try to facilitate an answer/comment for the OP that makes sense...is not miles from the mark...and can be documented.  I try to make it clear that my "opinions" are just that...they are are not the Ten Commandments, they may be off the mark...but they are honestly given with the intent of helping, not hindering, the OP with her/his understanding of what might be causing their dissatisfaction with the system.

I consider it not only acceptable, but mandatory, to refute "bad advice/suggestions" when such is thrown around loosely by someone who probably was trying to help.  To not do so...would be the same as failing yell "Stop!" to a blind person about to step off the edge of a building roof.  Many of our members don't quite realize that there are members who just engage in "talking exercises"...and there are knowledgeable members who only respond because they enjoy helping/assisting.  The one may accidentally say something that very valid in one post...and assert someething completely erroneous in the next topic.  The good member (IMO) is as careful with the accuracy of her/his comments as a doctor would be with a patient.  Refuting a bad or erroneous remark...doesn't have to turn into a duel of words between 2 persons who are NOT the OP and who sidetrack the topic with their words.  A person who isn't big enough to accept the idea that he/she made a mistake or saw something that wasn't in that topic...well, that person won't be swayed by words.  But...if a mistake in made in opining...everyone has a duty (IMO) to show that it was a mistake...to keep the OP on the right path...or, at least, away from the wrong path.

All of us...cannot help...in all situations.  That's the reason some topics get no comments for awhile, yet may receive many looks.  We all can read...reading a topic doesn't mean that you have anything to offer in the way of a helpful suggestion.  As I said, I don't pay attention to number of views...while I do notice number of responses and the content of those responses.

.I don't know about subscribing...I've never subscribed to a topic in any of the BC forums or other forums where I've visited.  I have no need to do so because I review all the new posts in the forums where I park...each day.  They are easy to pick out.  I suppose if I did not have that approach, subscribing to topics might have some meaning in my world.

Responsibility?  No one takes on any "responsibility" by merely making a comment in a topic.  We are all volunteers...we give because we like giving...we give when it's conventient for us to do so.  We don't give because we have a "responsibility" to give :)

If I request 2 data reports...and the OP provides me with one data report, focusing on something which I did not request...do I have a "responsibility", do I even have a desire to try to assist?  Maybe...depends on my mood.  If I request 2 data reports and the OP provides exactly what I asked for...I feel that I then have a "responsibility" to review such and express my interpretation.  No more, no less.  I have no "responsibility" to try to invent answers that it's clear that I don't have.  I'm not "The Guru" that some members see themselves as...I'm not "the noob" that some members see themselves as :).  If we speak honestly, we all are mixtures of those two viewpoints.  When someone needs assistance and we don't know or cannot assist...we feel "the noob."  When we are able to assist...or try to assist...then we are playing at being "the guru", just for a few seconds.

If there is any message that I could give you...it would be...help when you can, where you can, when you feel like it.  No one holds it against you if you decide not to try to assist...because no one other than you can know when those situations occur.  No one will make you President when you do try to assist...because you are doing what you wanted to do at those moments.

I personally do not like it when members divert the body and flow of a topic...for reasons that have nothing to do with being useful or helpful.  It's discourteous...it can be rude.It should never disrupt the topic so thoroughly that one has to wonder who the OP is and/or what became of her/him.

One thing that we all sometimes seem to forget...the OP is the one person in any topic who has a real responsibility.  That responsibility manifests itself in honest, open expression...to those trying to throw out a life preserver.  An OP with malware...who denies even the possibility of such...is a discredit to herself/himself.  An OP with an illegal install of anything on a system...and who is seeking to overcome the problems inherent in said illegal install by not acknowledging the realities of the situation..does herself/himself a disservice.

We don't make helping a contest of any sort here...no points are awarded, no gold stars of any sort...a few "thank you" farewells from some of the many who have gained from your gift.  The owner wisely decided against such and I think it makes this a better place to be...anytime...that I feel like it...and want to try to help.

If you really want to get the feel of the forums...any forum...I suggest that take a look at the types of responses provided for a given period...not just by one person, but by the active members...those who give...because they enjoy giving.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users