Hey everyone, first time posting on this site and I'm hoping you all can help me with a weird issue.
I've been using Windows 10 for a long time and haven't had any real issues until Monday, when File explorer randomly stopped working normally on my Dell Inspiron 5759. When I try to open File Explorer from the taskbar or start menu the screen flashes black, the taskbar seems to refresh, and it immediately closes the file explorer window it just started to open.
I've noticed a few things.
1) I can open file explorer by right clicking on the icon in taskbar and selecting any of the frequently used folders or pinned folders. Clicking on the documents "tab" in the new start menu (I have the anniversary update) also opens up an explorer window.
2) If I have other file explorer windows open and then recreate the problem it closes all those windows, not just the new one.
3) Trying to click on file explorer directly in an open explorer window (at C:/windows), or typing "explorer.exe" in the search bar prompts the same problem.
4) The only application installed recently was the Sling TV app, downloaded from the Windows Store. I uninstalled that app though and the behavior has persisted.
Steps I've tried that didn't work:
1) Restarting the PC
2) Checking for Windows Updates. (Only Windows Defender updates were found).
3) I tried disabling third party shell extensions by following instructions from another post on this site. (Using "shelexview") I only had two third party extensions and disabling them did not fix the problem. I tried disabling some of Microsoft's extensions with more recent install/CLSID dates, but wasn't sure which ones were critical and couldn't make it work. I was not able to stop the problem behavior.
I have the workaround of using pinned and frequent locations but it's mildly annoying to have to use extra clicks. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior and especially if anyone has found a fix. If nothing else, maybe this gives the community more information in case it's happening to others.