Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange behavior from File Explorer in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wolferc

wolferc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

Hey everyone, first time posting on this site and I'm hoping you all can help me with a weird issue.

I've been using Windows 10 for a long time and haven't had any real issues until Monday, when File explorer randomly stopped working normally on my Dell Inspiron 5759. When I try to open File Explorer from the taskbar or start menu the screen flashes black, the taskbar seems to refresh, and it immediately closes the file explorer window it just started to open. 

I've noticed a few things.

1) I can open file explorer by right clicking on the icon in taskbar and selecting any of the frequently used folders or pinned folders. Clicking on the documents "tab" in the new start menu (I have the anniversary update) also opens up an explorer window.

2) If I have other file explorer windows open and then recreate the problem it closes all those windows, not just the new one.

3) Trying to click on file explorer directly in an open explorer window (at C:/windows), or typing "explorer.exe" in the search bar prompts the same problem.

4) The only application installed recently was the Sling TV app, downloaded from the Windows Store. I uninstalled that app though and the behavior has persisted.

Steps I've tried that didn't work:

1) Restarting the PC

2) Checking for Windows Updates. (Only Windows Defender updates were found).

3) I tried disabling third party shell extensions by following instructions from another post on this site. (Using "shelexview") I only had two third party extensions and disabling them did not fix the problem. I tried disabling some of Microsoft's extensions with more recent install/CLSID dates, but wasn't sure which ones were critical and couldn't make it work. I was not able to stop the problem behavior.

I have the workaround of using pinned and frequent locations but it's mildly annoying to have to use extra clicks. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior and especially if anyone has found a fix. If nothing else, maybe this gives the community more information in case it's happening to others.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wolferc

wolferc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:21 PM

Forgot to add that I updated the video driver for my stock AMD Radeon graphics, thinking it was perhaps a rendering issue. The driver updated fine, but that didn't fix it either.

Edited by wolferc, 13 September 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#3 ACA service

ACA service

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

Have you tried to open file explorer options, and specify "this PC" to open, or perhaps click the "restore defaults"?  I saw something like this before and it was defaulting open to a location that no longer existed.

#4 wolferc

wolferc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the reply! I had completely forgotten about the ribbon in file explorer itself, since I always keep it rolled up. Changing the default location to "This PC" lets file explorer work perfectly.

Since restoring default settings didn't seem to change anything, I'm convinced the bug is in the quick access "process/location." (Not sure what to call it) As soon as I change the default location back to "Quick Access" things start to get funky. As long as the ribbon is open, file explorer works fine. If I close it with the ribbon open I am able to open file explorer from the taskbar the way I should be able to.

However, in the next instance (new window) as soon as I roll the ribbon up, file explorer shuts down immediately, and I am no longer able to start explorer by clicking on the taskbar item. All that only happens when its defaulted to quck access. Crazy!

I noticed that clicking on "Quick Access" at any time replicates the shutdown bug. I'm not sure how it all works behind the scenes, but that tells me the bug is connected to quick access somehow. Perhaps a link in explorer is broken that tells it "where" to find quick access? That goes a little deeper than the computer knowledge and experience I have. It's not a big deal for me now but I'm still curious. Any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users