Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashing Folder. Keyboard not working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SandroSantos

SandroSantos

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:21 AM

Thanks in advance for anyone trying to help smile.gif 

I have a Mac (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-3.06-21-inch-aluminum-late-2009-specs.html), i am not the first owner doe, all i know is that there was a apple logo and a little wheel rolling under it, so i thought, must be HDD problems, so i threw that away, and installed a new HDD (with those 4 little pins on it).

Now i have a bootable pen (because i don't have the DVD to install it) that i did using TransMac.
So i turn on the iMac and all that appears is a flashing folder with a question mark on it.
Went on the internet, searched everywhere, far and wide, all they say is "oh press this key combination, easy peasy lemon kebab", the thing is, my keyboard behavior seems very strange, i have a wired mac keyboard, when i press Alt key(or option key i think) it shows the mouse cursor, but any other commands like cmd+r or alt+cmd+o+p don't work. Nothing works, and i see that Caps Lock only lights up when that folder with question mark appears.
I have heard there is a firmware password that might block the keyboard, but i need to press stuff to deactivate it O.o

Basically, i am doomed, if you guys can help me, i would really thankful

By the way, going to an Apple Store is not an option.

Update: I have made a reset to the Pram (made 10 in sequence just because) by holding Alt+Cmd+P+R, IT DID RESET although, the other key combinations still don't work...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:07 AM

If I recall correctly, if there is no bootable drive installed, then it should boot from a bootable USB flash drive, but my memory could be faulty. The definite way to do would be to hold down the option key when booting up. This should then list all bootable drives available to the Mac. If your USB flash drive is truly bootable, then it will show up and you will be able to select it.

If that does not work, then either the USB flash drive is not setup correctly to be bootable or there is some other issue with the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users