Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going To Fresh Install Win 7, Walk Me Thru What I Need To Do First..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:21 AM

bought a custom built pc from Craigslist, upgraded to Win 10..  but since I own Win 7, and want a fresh install(non compromised) I am going to start over and install Win 7 on it. 

PC has an i7 CPU, 16gb RAM, 2 hard drives, 250gb main, 500gb backup, and 2 video cards(GTX 260) running SLI.. 

Before I essentially start over from scratch, what do yall recommend I do? 

i.e. would hate for my video cards to no longer work, or not all RAM recognized, ect, ect.. 

let me know!

oNe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:03 PM

Do you have a valid license...and install disk for Win 7?

UEFI or BIOS?

Have you checked the functional status of the hard drive?

Do you have the motherboard install disk for the drivers?

Louis

#3 jax7778

jax7778

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:06 PM

If you are starting over from scratch, you are talking about wiping everything out, Drivers included. This is why re-imaging (re-installing windows) is such a pain to do. I am normally a little reckless in my installs because as long as the hardware is fine, it will boot.

You can lose your LAN and Wireless LAN drivers, you will probably lose you video drivers, windows might have them pre-included, but don't count on it, and you WILL lose SLI until you re-install the nvidia drivers, but that is not too hard to do, just download and re-install. But, if you lose your LAN and WLAN, you cannot re-download them on your system. You wind up downloading from another computer (or using install disk) and transferring at least the wireless card or Network interface card (NIC) driver using a flash drive, and then downloading everything else from your system.

I would remove one of those drives before you install windows, then replace it afterward, I have had windows on a number of occasions install the boot partition on the second NON OS drive, then when that drive failed, i could not boot until I re-created it on the primary drive, you can avoid this in setup if you know how, but just pulling it out, installing, and replacing it after is easier in my opinion.

You should not have problems with RAM recognition, (unless you are installing windows 7 32bit) that is normally handled by the BIOS/UEFI, and you won't be changing that.

Also, make sure you can re-install any Licensed software (non-free) you may need to check the manufacturer to be sure.

Another thing to consider, is what kind of Window s7 do you own, OEM or Retail. Retail is "Slightly" more expensive, but you get a transferable license (you can move it to as many computers as you like, but you can only have it on one at a time) OEM is cheaper, but it will be bound to your Hardware, I believe to your BIOS/UEFI. You cannot transfer it, it will fail to activate on the new hardware, and Microsoft will not help with it (much) because it is an OEM copy (you also agree to provide your own support when you buy OEM copies)  IF you bought you copy of window in a store, it is retail(who does this anymore :)), if you did online, check to be sure, if you have already installed it on something else.

Lastly, once you have re-installed and updated, create a restore point, and a recovery image/disk could not hurt!

Don't be afraid of this, it takes time, and is kinda tedious, but I have done it hundreds of times, you will probably have few problems, and none you cannot fix.

Edited by jax7778, 13 September 2016 - 04:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users