Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external HD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:20 AM

I have quite a few photographs on my W7 Asus laptop and now I am looking to buy a portable HD to backup my photos. I don't need a large one in size but one that could handle 500GB or thereabouts and not to expensive. Any ideas and hints would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:47 AM

Amazon.com.

Louis

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:47 AM

Places such as Costco, Sam's Warehouse, Fry's Electronics, Staples/Office Max/Office Depot combine, and many other places are selling real solid platter-driven 2-4TB+- usb external HDs.  I recommend getting HDs that do have not onboard/circuit-level encryption if one is using the HD for backups and restores.  If all one is doing is copying data folders and files, such encrypting HDs are ok, as long as one completely makes sure "The access Key and communing software" [WD calls it Smartware/Drive Unlocker] is absolutely kept the same configuration and in great working conditions on any/all computers sharing this ext HD.  

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

Amazon.com.   Louis

Excellent place!!  Because they almost always have great customer service, I have used Amazon.com for many purchases   :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:53 AM

As far as I know your choice is restricted to either Western Digital or Seagate both of whom make these in a range of sizes. For the money involved I would always go for one larger than you think you need !

Both of these ranges come with encryption software on the drive. Since I too neither wanted or needed it I copied the files to a folder on my hard drive, just in case I ever changed my mind, and then deleted the files from the external hard drive.

Since you live in Australia your best bet is to google for local suppliers, there should be plenty.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:08 PM

I prefer Newegg over Amazon because of their return policy and customer service. I could be bias though because I live about a hour away from a Newegg warehouse. Newegg also has a better review system with educated users.

As for the HD, is transfer speed a concern? If so, you might want to decide if you want to transfer using USB(2.0) or the 1394(Firewire) port on your laptop. Something like the Fantom Drive has Firewire 400/800/USB2.0/USB3.0 and even eSATA at 136$ US.

:;Edit:: Their international site can be found at http://www.newegg.com/global/ie and from what I can tell, they still ship to Ireland. Just watch out for taxes.

Edited by Trikein, 13 September 2016 - 12:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users