Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to RDP to my file server

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 idontknow123

idontknow123

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:27 AM

Hi everyone,

Need your help on this. I have 3 servers running on VM Esxi. 2 out of 3 server are accessible via RDP the other one is not. I cant even access the server in question via Vsphere client console. Its just showing a black screen. I recently installed MS security essentials and spyhunter on that server. Do you think that those software are blocking the RDP connection and from Vsphere client console? if so, I would i be able to access that server and uninstall those recent installed softwares? 

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Idontknow123

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:29 PM

If you cant even access it through the persevere console then something is a miss mate, try forcible rebooting the machine and then see if you can then access through the console because it might need to be reset from vsphere.

#3 idontknow123

idontknow123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:02 AM

Thanks Johnny! 

my buddy have restarted the machine. After it came back up he was able to access via console. However after couple of hours we're again unable to get in. My current setup is there's 3 VMs on one machine. I'm not that techie, I want to know if I can access that particular VM on the physical machine instead of connecting thru vsphere or RDP? If so, can you walk me through? 

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:40 PM

Yes well you should be able to RDp straight into it, do you know if the person who configured the VM's used a template?

Also check the firewall settings on that one server thats refusing connections, or even delete and re-add a new virtual NIC mate and assign a new / same IP.

Are all of these domain joined servers?

#5 idontknow123

idontknow123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:41 AM

Yes well you should be able to RDp straight into it, do you know if the person who configured the VM's used a template?

Also check the firewall settings on that one server thats refusing connections, or even delete and re-add a new virtual NIC mate and assign a new / same IP.

Are all of these domain joined servers?

I have no idea of that VM template. 
Yes they are all domain joined servers. The problem is I couldnt get into that server to disable whats blocking the RDP. 

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:29 PM

Depending on your firewall settings, I have seen where dns issue's cause ntlm to fail causing the server to think the network is public (enabling the firewall).
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 idontknow123

idontknow123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:51 AM

Depending on your firewall settings, I have seen where dns issue's cause ntlm to fail causing the server to think the network is public (enabling the firewall).

What should I do in order to disable the firewall? I'm not able to get in to the server and I don't know how I could access that server to disable the firewall or the anti virus software.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:29 AM

Since they are domain joined servers you can change/disable the firewall using group policy. Then reboot the problem server and it should get the new policies and open the firewall.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users