Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thumb Drive Won't Format

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DHP904

DHP904

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:03 AM

Not sure if this is the right forum.  I have an 8GB thumb drive that I have used with OS X for a long time.  I would like to now use in on my Windows PC.  If i plug it in to my Windows PC, I get a message: error reading drive, must reformat.  But when I use the reformat menu, the only option is to reformat it to a drive with a 200MB capacity.  

I have tried going to DiskUtility on my Mac and re-formatting it as FAT (and now every other option), but no matter what I do, it can't be read in windows and Windows won't reformat it for 8GB.

I know thumb drives are cheap, and easily replaced, but I am confounded and hate that feeling.

THX

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:12 AM

The easy way is to install Partition Wizard on your Windows computer. Delete all Partitions. Click on the unallocatted space and select Create Partition. Create a Primary Partition and format it NTFS or FAT32. All steps are virtual and only complete after clicking Apply. Make sure you are working with the correct disk. 

#3 DHP904

DHP904
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:31 AM

Thanks so much, JohnC, that did the trick.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:12 AM

No problem. Glad it worked for you and thanks for the update.

#5 singhrvi205

singhrvi205

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:18 AM

nice information

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users