Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Defrag My Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ezpkns34

ezpkns34

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:57 AM

Tried to defrag my laptop (first time trying it since I got it)

When I tried, I got this popup:

07357dcac62ef17fa85d1b3a435f35af.png

I dunno what settings I changed/customized, but am hesitant to remove them without knowing what they are first

Thanks for any assistance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:47 AM

Do you have a hard drive or solid state drive?  If you have a solid state drive there is no need to defragment.

Looking at the error you should be able to defrag if you select the Remove customized settings button and acknowledge the UAC pop that will appear after.

#3 ezpkns34

ezpkns34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:57 AM

I believe I have a SSHD

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:01 AM

I believe I have a SSHD

SSD's can not be de-frag'd. They are fragmented naturally. If you force a defrag on it you may destroy the SSD.

#5 ezpkns34

ezpkns34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:16 AM

I see, didn't know SSHD & SSD were the same, thanks. Glad I asked before "restoring the settings"

Thanks for the help

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:15 PM

I see, didn't know SSHD & SSD were the same, thanks. Glad I asked before "restoring the settings"

Thanks for the help

It isn't. It's a hybrid of SSD and HDD. Unfortunately, people often refer to SSD's as SSHD just like they say "Solid State Hard Drive", which adds to the confusion.  SSHD is a type of hybrid drive where they combine an HDD with an SSD, hopefully getting the best of both worlds.

I think you can defrag your SSHD, but you may not gain any performance from it, unless it is very used. It depends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users