Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows not opening on startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 loodleliddle

loodleliddle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:30 AM

Hi there,

I have recently run into a problem with my desktop that I was hoping you could help with. I shut it down 2 nights ago in the usual way, but when I turned it on the next morning, windows failed to load up. I get the usual PC model page (In my case "zoostorm") and then the screen goes black, no windows loading screen or anything. I've tried getting into safe mode with f8 but that doesn't work, and I've also gone into the page where you can do a Troubleshoot, System Restore, or Reinstall Windows. (Sorry, I don't know the name of that screen). I am unable to do a system restore as I don't have any restore points, and trying to re-install windows failed because when it restarts during the installation it takes me back to the same black screen as before and stays there... Another curious thing is that when I press the power button to turn it off again, it instantly turns off, there's no few seconds where it does its closing down thing, it just instantly turns off as if its not actually running anything.

I'm at a total loss, I cant think what may have caused it, and have run out of ideas on how to fix it. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate some help with it, as my job involves me being able to use my computer.

Thank you James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:58 AM

The reason it instantly shuts down is because Windows hasn't been loaded.

What is the make and model of this Zoomstorm?

Do you have the installation disc for this version of Windows 7?

What key are you using to get to System Restore?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 loodleliddle

loodleliddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:17 AM

Hi dc3!

As far as the make goes, all I can see is the name Zoostorm... Its running a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV motherboard. Also, I can't figure out how I ever got to the System Restore page (Sorry, I'm not being a whole lot of help here...) I've just tried spamming every F* individually and couldn't find it...

However, spamming f12 has brought me to some sort of boot page, where I choose (I presume) which device I boot from. Now, last month I installed Windows 7 onto my new SSD and as far as I'm aware have been booting it from that ever since. What would you suggest my next steps might be? 

Thanks

James

#4 loodleliddle

loodleliddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

Okay a development... 

From the boot options I have, I can boot from the SSD card two different ways. The first being what it's set to at the moment, 

"UEFI: Sandisk" and another called "P0: Sandisk". I also have P1: WDC WD10EZEX-OORKKAO and P4: ATAPI    iHAS122    C. (Both mean nothing to me...)

Well, I selected the boot device of "P0: Sandisk" and it booted! However... (there's always a "however" it seems) when I go into the Boot Setup bit, the P0: Sandisk isnt an option when trying to set it as default... any ideas why this might be missing from the list? And any ways to get it there?

Thanks

James

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:02 PM

James, just a quick question....how many drives are installed on the computer? IOW, you mention an SSD drive-that probably is your Windows operating system. Then you referenced WDC WD10EZEX-OORKKAO EHIVH which is a Western Digital hard drive. Your ATAPI iHAS122 is your DVD optical drive.

> My question: what is installed on your WDC drive? And....after you installed Windows 7 on the SSD (Solid State drive), did you enter the BIOS and set the SSD to First Boot Device?

> Last question....are you sure that you installed Windows to the SSD drive, and not accidentally to the WDC drive? If you had both drives connected at the time, it's easy to do.

Edited by ranchhand_, 13 September 2016 - 03:13 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users