Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows desktop problematic connection to mobile's WiFi hotspot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MaleficRage

MaleficRage

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

Hello folks. I'm stuck with this one. I recently reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch after the automatic upgrade process murdered the schizbit out of it. My desktop now has difficulty connecting to my mobile phone's wifi hotspot. This has never happened before, even with the Windows 7-10 upgrade. I've used both the manufacturer and Microsoft drivers. The wifi connection frequently dies, packets are regularly dropped and I'm lucky to get about 3kB per second with up to 4000ms latencies. All other devices work fine.

Thanks in advance.

Edit (for clarification): I'm trying to connect my Desktop PC running Windows 10 (with a PCIe WiFi adapter) to my mobile phone's wireless hotspot to get Internet Access as my phone line is currently down.

Edit 2: After following Trikein's suggestion to try with USB tethering, the problem continues. It appears to be my OS itself.

Edited by MaleficRage, 13 September 2016 - 12:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:21 AM

Might want to check out the thread under yours.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601102/windows-10-wifi-connects-but-no-internet-access-no-internet-secured/page-3#entry4072030

#3 MaleficRage

MaleficRage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for the quick response, oddly I don't even get the option to change channel bandwidth. Perhaps the drivers do not provide that functionality? My phone uses Android 4.1 so I don't have any option to change it there either. Looking at a wifi analyser show the hotspot is already running on 20MHz, don't know what I can do about my wifi nic though.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

Did you check the manufacture for a Windows 10 driver? If you want help finding it, what model computer do you have? If home built, what model motherboard or wireless adapter?

#5 MaleficRage

MaleficRage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:40 AM

Hey again. The card is a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 which uses a Qualcomm Atheros AR938x Wireless Network Adapter. I've tried both manufacturer and Microsoft drivers. I built the PC myself.

Also, my version of Android is 5.1, not 4.1 although that probably makes little difference.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:06 AM

Looks like the drivers have only been approved up to Windows 8. There are some unofficial drivers out there, but use those at your own risk. Qualcomm doesn't release drivers to the public, so if the manufacture doesn't pay for a update, it isn't publicly available. Thats why they are cheap and used a lot by more bargain based designs. Support cost money. Might need a new wireless NIC or adapter that has a better driver.

PS. Why do you keep mentioning what android version you have? Can you phone not connect to Hotspots either since the upgrade? If so, there is something else going on.

Edited by Trikein, 13 September 2016 - 10:09 AM.

#7 MaleficRage

MaleficRage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:47 AM

Thanks very much for that link. I've tried the latest unofficial drivers, unfortunately to no success. I have a gut feeling that I have actually used the mobile hotspot successfully before on Windows 10 but just can't remember. The connection to my home WAP and all other devices works just fine from my PC. Unfortunately some twit of an ISP tech killed my phone line when setting up a new Internet connection to the unit next door to me. I've been using my mobile phone to get net access while waiting for repairs. It was problematic from the first day but has now degraded to the point of being unusable.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:01 AM

Ooooh, I misunderstood. I thought you were trying to get the PC to connect to a Wifi Hotspot at a library or airport, not specifically your phone.

Have you tried getting other devices to connect to the hotspot in that same location? Maybe your home wifi is interfering with the wifi from the phone? In your OP you mention weak signal and packet loss, does that occur no matter where the laptop and cellphone are, no matter how close?

#9 MaleficRage

MaleficRage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:29 AM

I've tested other devices (tablet & laptop) connecting to my mobile phone's hotspot and they have all worked fine. It's just the phone <-> desktop connection that's foobar'd Everything is working on 802.11n @ 2.4 Ghz. I've checked for interference by other WAPs but the phone has picked a pretty quiet channel so that should be fine. I've also switched off the home Wireless Access Point to see if that made a difference but no luck. My Desktop connected to my own WiFi modem/router with no problems. It's just this specific connection for some bizarre reason. 

#10 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:43 AM

Have you tried different settings? Windows Key + R > NCPA.CPL > Right click wireless network connection and click Properties > Configure button > Advanced Tab. Could you take a screenshot of those options?

If it has anything to do with the Android end, then I will be no help. I know nothing about Android, sorry. Maybe try a mirror post (if allowed) in Android forum?

::Edit:: Could you tether your phone to your router and use it's wifi instead of using the Hotspot? Or you could even tether your phone direct to your computer via USB. Either of these interest you?

Edited by Trikein, 13 September 2016 - 11:45 AM.

#11 MaleficRage

MaleficRage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:02 PM

Oh bloody hell, I didn't even contemplate USB tethering. Please allow me a moment of self-depreciation.

Ok. Same problem. That rules WiFi out of the equation entirely. Now I'm absolutely perplexed. I guess that leaves the only place to examine as Windows itself.

I am terribly sorry for wasting your time Trikein.

#12 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

What are the symptoms exactly? Is it good until randomly bad? Do you have any data showing it? Tests/tracert/pings/etc. Try running Minitoolbox and check off everything between "List Contest of Hosts" to "List Devices: Only problems" and post the log. 

#13 MaleficRage

MaleficRage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:43 AM

Originally it would regularly drop packets and time out on pings. Latency would range from 80ms to 4000ms. Sometimes bandwidth would be OK, often it would drop down to near nothing. It has changed recently to a more stable connection without as much packet dropping and normal latencies but bandwidth is now permanently crippled at about 3kb/s. I haven't been able to try with my adsl connection as my phone line is currently down. I'm going out of town for a while so i might have to put this on hold for a while until i get back.

#14 MaleficRage

MaleficRage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:49 AM

Also, transferring files from any other source is fine. It is specifically the internet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users