Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Securely encrypt drives before syncing them to Amazon S3 Cloud

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 krneki

krneki

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:04 AM

I intend to backup my whole system, secondary and external HDDs to Amazon Cloud. Currently my drives are not encrypted at all. I'm running Windows 10 (no UEFI).

I was wondering what is the best way to securely encrypt private data before uploading it to Amazon's cloud? I would like to have on the fly encryption, so there would be no need to create a container any sync it manually with Amazon's cloud software afterwards, but rather sync and encrypt the whole drive in real-time.

Quite some people recommend Boxcryptor, but it doesn't support Amazon's Cloud. Cryptomator seems like a good choice, but how secure is it, since it's not open source? There is also Duplicati, SyncBackPro and StableBit, do you have any experience with any? How do they compare? Any other recommendations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:24 PM

All I can suggest is manually encyrpt the data into an encyrpted 7z archive, then upload that to the cloud. Someone might be able to suggest other methods, maybe write some sort of script that tells certain programs to be run in certain ways on data before it is upladed, but I can't think of a fully automated way to encrypt before upload. All I can think of is a manual "stick it in an encrypted archive and upload the archive" method, great for if you backup once an evening or something, but not good if you want realtime, and not good for syncing style "automatically write the new backup over the old backup" methods either, although those are pretty risky anyway*, better avoided.

*if a corrupted new version overwrites a good old version you have lost the backup

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users